Wednesday, April 29, 2009

As Promised

Knitting disclosure.

Last year I worked in Kindergarten with a young, delightful, and truly exceptional teacher. This spring she announced that a little girl will be arriving at her house in June and she will be taking some time off from teaching. There is going to be a baby shower for her tomorrow after school.

I decided that it was the perfect occasion to pull out Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket pattern. The pattern was originally published in 1968 and has been a favorite for knitters of baby things ever since. It is knit in one piece and sewn together at the top of the sleeves.



I added a crochet edging and sweet little yellow and pink flower buttons.

I think the true color of the yarn, which I was unable to photograph correctly (probably due to my unfamiliarity with my new camera or to improper lighting or, most likely, both) is really more of a buttery yellow than almond. Or maybe like spring flowers flying in a lightly overcast sky.


Yarn details: Lion Brand's Cotton Ease (50% cotton, 50% acrylic) Almond, 2 skeins, size 8US needles. If you are a yarn snob, my apologies. I refuse to give a new mother anything made with yarn that can't be spit upon and then washed and dried with ease. I've found the Cotton Ease to be soft to slip through my fingers and wonderful to knit; it doesn't stretch too much and it doesn't split.

If you were a new mama, wouldn't you love to wrap your sweet little one in buttery, almondy, flowery yellow?

17 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh well done! It looks lovely. I really like the buttons too! Have fun at the shower and at your last day of the week! :o)

Brenda said...

That is really pretty, and I really like the buttons.

Jientje said...

That is soooo pretty!!

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Dear Willow.....
What a beautiful baby jacket.... so perfectly knitted and the buttons you have chosen are so pretty. I can almost feel the softness of the yarn you’ve used. Maybe you can show us a picture of baby wearing her new jacket in due course. Marion

Dorothy said...

Yes, I definitely would want to slip that lovely little jacket on a sweet little one! Its just beautiful, Willow!

Marg said...

Do they make those for adults?
Right now that would be perfect to take off the morning chill.

Kathie said...

Wow - just beautiful!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It is lovely, and I especially like those dainty little buttons with which you decorated it.

ancient one said...

Yes, I would love to wrap my little one in that cute sweater... (if I had a little one) You did a wonderful job!

Tracy said...

Brings tears to my eyes, that baby jacket is so precious...so lovely! You did an exceptional job there, Willow...love the color, touch of crochet and those sweet buttons. Best wishes to your colleague with her soon-to-be-new-arrival. :o) ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Looks great...

Mama Mia said...

Ohhh I love it! So darling! :o)

And, not being a Mom but spending lots of time with others' children, I think that easy-to-wash is the primary thing. She'll love it!

Unknown said...

Oh yes, yes, it's beautiful, I love the little finishing details you have added. Beautiful work.

XUE said...

I would love to wrap myself in this sweet buttery, almondy, flowery yellow jacket with those delightful buttons!

Anonymous said...

That looks so classic I'd never have guessed the age of the pattern. A couple of friends are having new babies added to their families this Summer so I am knitting baby things once again starting with ball ends.

Like you I like practical yarns for new mums. There is enough to think about without hand washing or worrying that if hubby did the washing, would the garment now fit Barbie. LOL

Knitting Linguist said...

Most definitely! I love it :)

Anonymous said...

That is such a darling sweater. You did a beautiful job.