Thursday, May 06, 2010

May Seventh, Friday Fave Fives

Welcome to Friday Fave Five!  Do I state this every week?  Do I say, "I love Fridays because of Fave Five?"  I think so!  Join Susanne and friends at Living To Tell The Story to review the points of gratitude in this first week of May 2010.

This may be a record of some sort in the experiences of Willow's Cottage. I did not take one single photograph all week! Carrying my camera around everywhere, I still didn't shoot one picture. (This is NOT one of my faves.) My mind has been elsewhere.

1. One place my mind has been dwelling is in the designing of a couple of sweaters, including the denim wool remake from recycled wool that I wrote about a couple of weeks ago.  Designing does not come quickly or easily to me so I put a lot of time and thought in to it.  In the end, a friend provided me with a copy of a pattern from a magazine that I have misplaced.  I traded her some dried beans I don't plan to use for her time and effort in finding the pattern.  I have kind and lovely friends.

2. Another place my brain has been is in the future, next academic year, actually.  As we plan our next year's curriculum and classes, my boss/colleague and I have been working out plans and schedules.  One result is that it is clear I am going to need a little home office/desk of some sort.  While I've been searching online for file cabinets, cute storage boxes and desks, I've been looking around the cottage to work out how I'm going to fit a desk in here.  Any ideas welcome! I suppose this can be considered a fave because planning and working out an organizing problem is interesting, if challenging, to me.

3. I love my nephews and nieces!  One of them reached a milestone this week.  He graduated from law school!  I'm so very proud of him and it is reassuring to know there's a 'lawyer' in the family.

4. I had been counting weeks until classes were finished for the school year, and I discovered on Monday that I was one week off. I actually have a week LESS left in the semester than I thought!

5. The Iceberg Rose in my garden continues to bloom.  My quick estimate of the number of buds and opened flowers, based on counting a section of the bush, is more than fifty!  This photo was taken last week:


Willow's Week went whizzing and whirling so quickly!  How was yours?

26 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love that rose, Willow!!! What is it about white roses that makes them just so beautiful!

roxie said...

Oh the delicacy of that white rose!

When designing a sweater, keep reminding yourself, "It's just yarn." You are not dealing with human lives or unobtainium. If you don't like what you make, take it out. Really, you can't do it wrong. Painters use up miles of canvas and thousands of dollars of paint just to develop technique. Think of the sweater as another exercise in knitting, and practice, practice, practice..

ellen b. said...

Mine whizzed too with very little photo taking. Yippee for a break from work coming soon for you!! The rose is beautiful. My brain got packed in one of those boxes yesterday...I need someone to shock me to revive me...

Hollace said...

That is a beautiful, perfect rose. I am wanting to have a "white garden" in a corner of my yard, and that rose should be there! I'll note the name of it.

Carrie said...

=D HA! I laughed about the 'lawyer in the family' remark. I went to law school (didn't finish) but my friends did. While we don't have one in the family, everytime we've needed one - there are about 10 of them just an e-mail away! It's fantastic! =D You just have to know the right people - or be related to them!

Have a great weekend!

Jerralea said...

What a beautiful rose!

Organizing and designing a home office is exciting to me! I'm sure it will turn out great.

Congrats to your nephew, but I'm hoping you will not need his services!

Brenda said...

What a nice surprise to discover that you have one week less of school than you anticipated. So glad it was not the other way :)

I like it when my mind is hard at work on a creative project, its a healthy distraction.

Islandsparrow said...

Grogeous rose - more than 50? Wow!

Congratulations to your nephew!

I didn't take that many pictures either but it was due to too much rain!

Yay for counting wrong that way - the other way would not be so much fun.

Happy weekend Willow!

Susanne said...

Your rose is absolutely lovely!

I`m so impressed that you are designing your own sweater.

Congrats to your nephew. That is quite the accomplishment.

Happy Mother`s Day Willow!

Susannah said...

Your life sounds so full and beautiful. Happy Mother's Day!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's always an enjoyable visit to Willow's FFF :) Good luck on designing a sweater ~ I seem to recall that you won a prize for a sweater of yours!

I like storing a file cabinet in a hall closet. We do that in San Clemente where space is tight.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

That iceberg rose is simply beautiful!

One week less than you thought -- that's such a happy accident.

We want to see a picture of that denim wool sweater when you finish.

Happy weekend!

Jientje said...

All my weeks seem to whizz by!I always seem to have a week less than I thought I would have!
That rose looks stunning by the way!
Have a great weekend and a happy Mother's day!

Jane said...

Well i'm the same I lost track of time as i've been so busy. love your rose, the weather is so chilly here that it will be weeks before the roses bloom. Hope you find yourself a desk soon. Jane

Tracy said...

Oh, that Iceberg is dazzling, Willow! What a pretty way to cap off a great week. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day Weekend! :o) The days zip here, much preparing for our trip early next week--hooray! ((HUGS))

Elizabeth said...

Happy Mother's Day!

ham1299 said...

Wow, what a BEAUTIFUL rose!

Thanks for visiting Ramblings & More! :-)

Kari said...

Happy Mother's Day.
The rose is beautiful and congrats to your nephew.

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Gorgeous color of the rose! So white, and wonderful.

I'm too counting for the weeks to summer vacation..

Lisa notes... said...

Hope you have fun setting up a home office. Congrats to your nephew graduating from law school. I have two nieces graduating from college next weekend. That rose is fantastic!

Marg said...

I had to smile at your busy week. I think some of us are feeling the same, then I had to check to see if I had left a comment at your place....Crazy eh?
I hope you can work out all the details to your curriculum.
It's great to have nieces and nephews. Meeting up with some of them this week.

Flower said...

I think that fifty roses from one bush is pretty amazing! Yours is a beauty! So clear and fresh!
Designing a sweater is something you are capable of....and it will be very nice!! Share the resulted sweater when it's completed!
My week was full...very busy and fun!

Knitting Linguist said...

I got caught on the one week less of classes -- what a pleasant surprise this time of the year! :)

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Love organizing things, too!! What a good feeling...you've had quite a week...but definitely a happy one. That rose is gorgeous, and I have a feeling that your sweater will be simply stunning! Love the one on your sidebar, by the way! I do hope your coming week isn't too stressful with fewer teaching days left...something to look forward to, though: summer! Love you, Janine XO

"Sunshine" said...

What a splendid rose...
I LOVE roses.....

Unknown said...

Wow...I love that rose Kak Willow. We have roses here but they are very small ones, the ones that can withstand heat. Happy Mother's day..a belated one.