Willow's Fave Fives--a little late this week. But here they are--
1. When our espresso machine broke a few weeks ago, The Professor looked for a replacement part online to fix it. Unfortunately, the part could not be ordered. In typical Professor fashion, he attempted a couple of fixes and found that using a 3/8" socket drive would turn the broken handle. Then he realized that if he had a piece of 1/4" steel stock, he could cut it to fit and repair the broken 'turn thingie' himself. Where to find such an item? I emailed my friend Roxie and her amazing husband posted a 6 inch long cylinder of 1/4" steel stock to us. We're back in production thanks to The Professor's ingenuity and Roxie's hubby's generosity.
2. I wrote earlier this week about my fun adventure in teaching some girls to knit. This afternoon, I'll be doing a return gig to instruct them in increasing and decreasing.
3. Today is 11-11-11. On this day, we celebrate and thank the men and women who have served the United States in the military. As the daughter, niece, and wife of veterans, and as the mother and mother-in-law of active duty military personnel, I have much invested in this day of thanks and remembrance. THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED MY COUNTRY.
4. In addition to this day being a federal holiday, it is also the wedding anniversary of my son and daughter-in-law. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
5. Weather. I just like weather. I've been noticing that the quality of the light during day hours is changing. I'm not sure why or how, but it just seems like winter and it's the LIGHT which makes me realize that we are moving nearer to the winter solstice. This week we have experienced some warm, sunny, windy days and also some rainy days, like today. Unexpectedly, the leaves turned from rich magenta and vibrant tangerine to sodden, drab washed out versions of the purples and oranges. Perhaps tomorrow while they are still hanging from the branches, the leaves will brighten back up again in the sunshine. Even in Southern California weather can be (a little) interesting.
This has been Willow's Weekly Fave Fives. If you want to join in focusing a weekely post on thanksgiving and gratitude, you can link up at Susanne's blog Living to Tell the Story.