Friday Fave Five. May 25, 2012
1. The jacaranda trees are blooming! All year long the jacarandas just stand around in the parking lots and parks and along the streets not receiving much attention. They're just--there. But. In. May! They burst into bloom with riotous purple. When the jacarandas are blooming, Southern Californians know it's spring.
2. Becoming Minimalist scores again. This post about Raising Justice-Minded Children is a must read for every parent, every grandparent, every aunt or uncle, every adult.
3. Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Festival happens every May. My spinning/weaving guild is always invited to demonstrate our skills. This means free entry, an opportunity to bring our spinning wheels and looms and share these ancient arts with everyone who stops to watch us. I'm constantly amazed at how popular our gathering always is. We seldom have time to grab lunch or a coffee break. I love it. I spent all day Sunday sitting on a porch in the Western town on the old Paramount (Studios) Ranch in Agoura Hills. If you ever watched a Western movie, you probably saw the buildings where we were. Although I carried my camera in my bag, I never had a chance to pull it out, but I was asked many times if I would allow my photo to be taken while I was spinning. So there are lots of photos of me at the festival but none on my camera.
4. Spinning--I began spinning some white alpaca fiber. There's not much to be photo worthy yet--one spool of cream colored string does not an exciting picture make. But soon it will grow into two spools and then a skein of plied yarn. Soon.
5. Last but certainly not least, my summer break has really and truly arrived! I corrected all the last assignments and mailed back all but three as I am waiting for the mom of the three siblings to send me their new address. After dropping off the envelopes at the post office, The Professor asked what I wanted to do to celebrate. I chose a quick trip to the library for MORE BOOKS and then an order of soy hot chocolate to help the sense of relaxation settle in.
This has been Willow's Week. Thanks to Susanne for hosting Friday Fave Five which gives us an opportunity to focus on being thankful.