I have certainly missed being a part of Friday Fave Fives for the past month. Each Thursday evening, I would tell myself, "Get on the computer and just write!" But obviously, that didn't happen. However, I'm back now! What have I been thankful for this week?
1. Opportunities to encourage students who have been struggling with their writing skills. When I see their eyes light up, when they laugh instead of scowl about an assignment, it makes the planning and teaching worthwhile. Even more than worthwhile, it makes me excited to continue teaching.
2. Emails, phone calls and conversations with special people who remind me they are praying for me.
3. I had a great time on Saturday and Sunday joining other spinning and weaving guild members at Reyes Adobe Days in Agoura Hills (just on the northwest edge of Los Angeles County). I spent two days spinning and explaining the process of taking animal fiber (this time it was alpaca) and turning it in to yarn. An added bonus was seeing a former student who was working at the 'grinding corn and making tortillas' booth.
4. The Professor and I make a great team during the week. In the mornings he
pulls me out of bed wakes me up, hands me a cup of coffee and makes sure I have my car keys. In the evenings, I have dinner ready when he arrives home and then he even helps make a salad. He's working extra hours in the performing arts dept at the university, attending rehearsals and planning the lighting for the fall production. That makes for late nights, but we always manage to sit for a bit and relax. It takes a great team to work and play together.
5. Lovely Southern California October beach. I needed to feel the sand in my shoes, the sea breeze in my hair, the spray on my face so I drove down to Ventura's Marina Park to eat my lunch between class and tutoring. It lifts my spirits.
What one thing stands out to you this week?