Thursday, November 15, 2012

Favorite Books For Kids

Because of a conversation I had this week with my lovely and brilliant TA, I have been thinking about my favorite children's books.  She was singing the praises of The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli which she had just finished reading aloud to her younger sister.  Of course, I chimed in with the information that the book is one of my ALL TIME FAVES of children's literature.

I have a goal to own and read all of the Newbery Award Books.  The award is given yearly to the 'best' children's literature book published that year.  A complete list of the Award Books and the Honor Books from 1922 to present can be found HERE.  I'm close to reaching my goal needing only twelve books to complete my set.  Regularly, I will pull a volume from the bookshelf and read it although there are some books which I reread.  Of course, everyone has her favorites.

And so I present to you a list of recommended kids' lit books, just in case you are thinking of purchasing books for a young person for Christmas or you are looking for excellent reading for yourself.  These books include but are not limited to my favorites, for how can I choose THE BEST?

Some of Willow's favorite Newbery Award Winners
From oldest to newest:

1929.  The Trumpeter of Krakow, Eric P. Kelly

1933.  Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze, Elizabeth Lewis

1950.  The Door in the Wall, Marguerite de Angeli

1961.  Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell

1972.  Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Robert C. O'Brien

The Newbery Awards also include Newbery Honor Books, books chosen as 'also rans'.  Some years, I have preferred the Honor Books to the story chosen for the Award.  But that's just my personal preference.

Some fantastic Honor Books,
From newest to oldest:

1983.  Homesick: My Own Story, Jean Fritz

1982.  Ramona Quimby, Age 8, Beverly Cleary

1980.  The Road from Home: The Story of an Armenian Girl, David Kherdian

1965.  Across Five Aprils, Irene Hunt

1958.  Gone-Away Lake, Elizabeth Enright


Another eight Newbery Honors books, because, you know, you just can't choose five:

1949.  My Father's Dragon, Ruth S. Gannett

1947.  The Avion My Uncle Flew, Cyrus Fisher, pseud. (Darwin L. Teilhet)

1944.  These Happy Golden Years, Laura Ingalls Wilder

1941.  Blue Willow, Doris Gates

1941.  The Long Winter, Laura Ingalls Wilder

1940.  By the Shores of Silver Lake, Laura Ingalls Wilder

1938.  On the Banks of Plum Creek, Laura Ingalls Wilder

1922.  The Golden Fleece and The Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles, Padraic Colum

Did you notice that FOUR of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books won Honors but never won an Award?  Who doesn't know and love her tales of settling the West?

Are you familiar with any of these children's books?  Which ones would you recommend to give as gifts this Christmas?  I am linking this to Susanne's Friday Fave Five although I just couldn't limit myself to five.

Also, this is my #15 post of Thankfulness:  I'm thankful for the abundance of great children's literature available for adults' and children's reading pleasure.

11 comments:

ellen b. said...

It's time for me to re read some of my childhood favorites. I love children's books...

nikkipolani said...

What a fun way to do your faves! I remember your mentioning the Newbery awards books, but didn't remember that you are close to owning the whole set.

Kathie said...

Wow - a great collection!! I've read them all except the 1922 winner. The Door in the Wall is a particular favourite - my grade 4 class did a whole Medieval theme based on that book. They loved it. Gone Away Lake is another favourite. And of course all the Wilder books. Oh dear . . .don't get me going!

Children's books - one of my favourite topics! Thanks Willow!

Tracy said...

Oh, this was nice reading, Willow! I loved Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was a child. As I got a little older I loved Lucy Maud Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott too. I feel like revisiting some old favorites now! :o) We're heading Stateside next week to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family--my favorite holiday--can't wait! Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours ((HUGS))

roxie said...

I loved "The PhantomTollbooth."

Jerralea said...

Oh I love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books - I've read them all. I've also read and loved Across Five Aprils. I do remember reading Ramona Quimby to my girls when they were small. I haven't read any of the others ... but now I must!

Susanne said...

Although I read a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder a couple of these particular ones don't seem familiar. The only other one is Ramona that I recognize. I think I have to start making a point of getting some of these books.

Susanne said...

Although I read a lot of Laura Ingalls Wilder a couple of these particular ones don't seem familiar. The only other one is Ramona that I recognize. I think I have to start making a point of getting some of these books.

Gracie Saylor said...

At various times in my life I have vowed to read all the Newberry winner/honors books. Laura's books are the ones I have read the most, but I also loved reading L'Engle's books...A Wrinkle in Time was not my favorite. Her honor book A Ring of Endless Light was.
I'm glad you reminded me of my vow, Willow :) I have had fun catching up on your posts after being so focused on celebrating my youngest daughter's wedding. [I was so glad you featured your TA! I loved the years I was one in NY in an elementary program that was mostly one on one tutoring. Joy!] xx from Gracie

RSA QLD said...

No doubt with those books. Good for the kids!

Cynthia Washburn said...

Going through the list makes me realize how much children's reading tastes have changed. The 1949 winner, Rabbit Hill is at about a Grade 5 or 6 reading level but it is not something children read today. Maybe adults who re-read with nostalgia but not so much the target readers. Have a look at the 2012 winner--a totally different type of book.