Keeping connection with my Word for the Year, SAVE, here are my Five Faves for this week. I saved my time, attention, money and personal energy to do what is most important to me--spend quality time with people I care about.
1. My daughter was gifted a LARGE amount on a coffee shop gift card, and she generously shared it with her family every day. Mmmmmm... can I just say Soy Peppermint Mocha No Whip?
2. San Diego Zoo. We visit the Zoo every time we are in San Diego. Finally we decided it's just simpler to buy the yearly pass. So we did. It's a favorite place of the grandchildren too. We each chose an animal to see.
3. The Hobbit! Loved it. We put the littles to bed, hired a babysitter, and the adults went to watch it at a local theatre. Martin Freeman is brilliant as Bilbo although I have to make a mental leap from seeing him as Watson to being Bilbo. I recommend it. Go watch it.
4. What did you do on New Year's Eve? We enjoyed two special meals with friends. We lunched at an Indian restaurant in LaJolla with a young man from Chennai (Madras) along with two of our own kids and two more of their friends. Lentil soup and samosas. Lively conversation. An invitation to visit and sample 'real South Indian cuisine'. That's an invitation we will certainly arrange to accept the next time we drive down to San Diego. Then in the early evening we enjoyed dinner with a couple we hadn't seen in almost ten years. We all agreed we need to get together sooner than that next time.
5. The best part of the week and of New Year's Eve was pulling into our drive, parking our car, dragging in our suitcases, and snuggling in our own bed after eleven nights away. There's no place like home.
Bonus: Happy Third Birthday to Our Little R!
There we have it. My first (partial) week of 2013. My hope is that I will remember to always be thankful and be faithful to express it in print weekly again this year via Susanne's Friday Fave Fives.