Friday, January 03, 2014

New Year's Week 2014

Huh. I forgot it was Thursday.  You know, I am totally immersed in the 'every day is Saturday' mentality, and I quit keeping track of the real day.  Until I was checking my feedly.com posts and noticed nikkipolani had posted Friday Fave Fives, it had completely escaped my notice that it was Thursday night.  And by then I was just too sleepy to write anything.

So.  It's Friday morning Pacific Time in the US (that's mid day to all you Easterners) and I'm running late.  But here are my Five Faves:

1.  More of those lazy days.  Evidently, we needed them because we slept in, lazed around, motivated ourselves for major expeditions out the door for walks and coffee sipping.

2.  We needed to save up our strength for our trip here.

Can you guess?




Yes, Legoland!
All three grandkids in the same place at the same time!

We did the drive down to Carlsbad, the visit to Legoland, and the drive back home all in one day.
Then we needed more major downtime.

3.  One more weekend with our older daughter who lives a million miles away.  Saturday market.  Sunday church service.  Daily walks.  We had a goal of watching as many old movies together as we could fit in.  (We managed at least fifteen--The Professor and Older Daughter are huge old movie fans.  I enjoy them too, and I have my knitting.)  AND a new movie:  The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.  

4.  We have the world's best neighbors.  They are also our friends.  Somehow, we managed to spend three days in a row with them.  New Year's Eve at our place, watching a movie and ringing in 11pm.  New Year's Day at their beach house walking on the sand, assembling a circular puzzle (now, that was a bit of a challenge), and January 2nd at their home, watching another movie.

5.  Speaking of that walk on the beach...


The tide was far far out, and we strolled along the edge of the surf where, just a few hours before, we would have been several feet under the surface of the water.




And so we speed into 2014 at a slow, slothful snail's pace.  I think it will pick up next week...

11 comments:

Barbara H. said...

We've had almost two weeks feeling like Saturdays and have lost track of what day it is sometimes, too. But it's been lovely.

I'd love to visit Legoland some time - Legos were some of my boys' favorite toys when they were little.

The walk on the beach sounds lovely.

We saw The Hobbit during Christmas week and enjoyed it.

Gracie Saylor said...

That's starting the New Year at a slow pace??? But is does sound like you experienced a wonderful variety of events and I hope that happy pace continues back at work so that you continue to feel refreshed, Linda!

Bethany said...

Did you like the new Hobbit movie? Nathaniel really wants to see it. My kids went back to school yesterday but are off for snow today! I am totally confused as to what day it is!! It makes me smile to hear all about your visits with your family and friends! Happy New Year!!!

ellen b. said...

You did an Ellen bonzai trip there and back...
Amazing how much time it takes to recoup after those.
Enjoy your weekend with daughter!!

nikkipolani said...

I loved your description -- every day is Saturday! Friday snuck up on me, too. Your lazy start to the year sounds just perfect. A million miles is just too far. Glad you had some extended time with her.

Susanne said...

Haha, I have had a few Thursdays where I realized with sudden shock right before bed than it is Thursday and I haven't started my FFF.

Legoland would be so much fun to visit with grandkids. And sitting in our deepfreeze a walk on a beach sounds absolutely lovely!

Gattina said...

I too was completely upside down with this holidays in the middle of the week ! I forgot to put my link in Susanne's blog, as we are a few hours ahead, in the afternoon I forgot.
Nice to see Legoland, I have never seen one !
Honestly I am happy that all these festivities are over and we are back to normal life !

Susan said...

15 movies - awesome! What a wonderful bonding and relaxing time that must have been. Do you ever look at your knitted projects and then think about the movie(s) you saw while knitting them?

I am just getting into watching old movies. The last one I saw was "Meet Me in St Louis" with Judy Garland. I enjoyed it!

I look forward to going to Legoland when my granddaughter is old enough. Thanks for showing photos and whetting my appetite.

Hurray for the best neighbors. Having such close access to good friends is a blessing indeed. I miss having that. I am praying for some folks to move in (apartment) that I can call my "world's best neighbors."

Have a happy and relaxing weekend, Willow.

snoopydogknits said...

Sounds like fun times! The two-week Christmas vacation has ended and I return to school tomorrow. We have spent our two weeks with our children and their families, including new granddaughter, Evie, born on Dec 22nd. You can't beat family time, but now I could do with another week's holiday just to chill! Happy New Year to you! Ros

Mia said...

So glad you made it down to Legoland! Excited for all the beach days ahead! :o)

Sharon Lynne said...

It's nice to have friends and to bring in the New Year with.

I've never visited Legoland, but I have a feeling I'll be there someday. You have amazing energy!

Loved the part about "every day is Saturday". It made me feel good to know I'm not alone in forgetting what day it is--when off work.

I recently quit my job--due to the move. Strange feeling--but good.