In all the busyness leading up to Christmas Week, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I pause and meditate on the blessings of my week-- Five Fabulous Faves which have reminded me to be thankful. Each Friday, I am thankful for Susanne who hosts Friday Fave Five where I connect with others who choose to focus even a few minutes during their week on gratitude.
1. This wasn't exactly my plan for decorating for Christmas. But the handyman's schedule dictated ceiling work done, so decorate with plastic sheeting, orange buckets and blue ladders we did. The fave is that by Thursday evening we were able to redecorate with boring red poinsettias and a simple creche set. It's not as dramatic, but it's infinitely preferable.
2. The other advantage to having workmen in the house the week before Christmas is that when they leave, I have to deep clean. Probably, I'd be cleaning anyway, so it's a win-win. Clean up after the work crew, and clean for Christmas.
3. I enjoyed a lovely hike through a seaside town near Santa Barbara. Summerland and I go way back to the days before I was married many years ago. During the summer we were dating and through the year and into the summer we were married, The Professor and I would walk along Summerland Beach on our days off. But this was the first time I have ever hiked in the hills behind the town. It was marvelous.
Bougainvillea adorning the front gardens and the rural fences.
Horse properties and lemon orchards
3. The Professor finished giving his last final of the semester and I taught my last class before Christmas break. Three weeks off!
4. It is so much fun to read the adorable cards that my students write me at Christmas. "Thank you for teaching me to write better." I treasure each one, and truly, I have a little drawer where I keep those special notes and save them to reread. Do you do that?
5. Anticipation! And now we wait. We will check weather and flight status and traffic. Soon, soon, we will drive to LAX's arrivals terminal. The New Boy and his mama will be here to celebrate Christmas with us!