I think Spring is my favorite season in Southern California. The weather is wonderful. The flowers are fantastic. Here are Friday Fave Fives about Spring (mostly) that I love and look forward to each year.
1. On Saturday I took my spinning wheel and some llama fiber to California Lutheran University's campus to join a couple of other spinners from the weavers and spinners guild and demonstrate spinning at the Scandinavian Festival. (A historical note here: many Scandinavian people settled in the area where I live between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara. The street names are an interesting mix of Scandinavian and Spanish words. There's even a road up the hill to the next town called Norwegian Grade.) Every spring there is a big festival to celebrate everything Scandinavian. I enjoy participating and showing people how fibers were and are used in creating yarn for knitted and woven fabrics. I didn't have time to take any photos. But if I had a nickel for every photo taken of me that day, I'd be rich.
2. Spring means the monarch butterflies are back! We have planted milkweed in our garden to entice the butterflies to return each year during their migration up and down the Pacific coast.
3. Those two toned poppies I saw at the beach and mentioned last week? Well, they popped up in my garden this week.
4. Spring here in coastal Southern California means morning fog. Around here, we talk about May Gray and June Gloom and joke that our monthly forecast is "early morning coastal fog and low clouds, giving way later in the day to sunshine." Every, Day. This week we've had April Haze on the mountains above our neighborhood. It's beautiful!
5. Finally, I decided to listen to my optometrist and my husband. I bought a pair of sunglasses and picked them up this week. I wore them out of the office into the sunshine, and my first thought was, "Hey! I'm not squinting!"
I hope you are enjoying Spring!