Friday, May 25, 2018

Looking Back At The Week

It seems like Friday arrives so soon every week.  As The Professor often states, "Time flies."  Here I am and it's the end of the week and I am running a little late for Friday Fave Fives.  What has happened to make me grateful?  Here are some random thoughts.

1.  I love my local library.  This week I returned two books, and check out, let's see, (counting in my head), three books.  Oh and I renewed a fourth book.  All for free.

2.  Speaking of books, my daughter bought me a book for Mother's Day. It arrived this week.  Oh, I'm a happy mama!


3.  Where I live there are many places that have been used (and are being used) as movie sets.  Often when we are driving along the coastal route, we will see movie set trucks parked at the beach.  Sometimes, roads are closed as commercials are being shot.  Old Westerns were often filmed in areas within 20 miles of Willow's Cottage.  One such place is Paramount Ranch.  Appropriately named for Paramount Studios.  At this time, it's part of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area.  Every May, on one Sunday, the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Contest and Festival is held there.  And every year for the past eight or so years, I've taken my spinning wheel and sat in the Western town on the iconic porch and spent my day spinning and talking with people.



 It's a busy time.  But oh so fun!



4.  After that crazy busy day, I was glad to stop off at my favorite restaurant and pick up a burrito and come home and crash.  After I ate my burrito.

5.  Another perk to living where I do is easy access to various renowned museums and centers.  Like the Getty Center and Getty Museum.  And Reyes Adobe.  And all the Los Angeles museums.  The Ronald Reagan Library may be the closest center to us.  We've been there several times to visit with friends and to see special exhibits.  Right now, an exhibit about Genghis Khan is there.  So we decided to visit RRL this week.



Gotta love the Imperial passport!
"I am the emissary of the Khan. If you defy me, you die."


model of a yurt


Where there were sheep there were spinning wheels (drop spindle).


I hope you will take some time this weekend to contemplate your blessings.  What are you thankful for?

10 comments:

Faith said...

oh it looks like you had a lovely week with so many special blessings!! how fun...to spin! Spinning to me is biking :)
I also wrote about my town library!!

Happy long Weekend!

Karen said...

It looks like you had a great day at the Paramount Ranch. One of my favorite TV series was filmed there -- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. In fact, the building looks kind of familiar -- the clinic maybe?

I would love to visit the Ronald Reagan library. Someday, we will. The presidential libraries are fascinating to me. I hope to see them all!

One of my favorites today is answered prayers, and you were a part of it. Thank you;)

Wendy said...

Always interesting to hear about where blogging friends live. We also have a good library and I can do some things, like renewing or reserving books online! Have a good long weekend.

Jill Foley said...

Libraries are magical! One of my favorite things in the world is my library card! I just figured out how to download audio books via my library and that has been a great joy.

Barbara H. said...

I love our little branch library here -- so cozy. What a lot of interesting places to visit!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

That book looks so interesting. And a fiddle concert sounds really nice too.

Patti said...

Oh, I am with you on the library! I absolutely love my local library system. My daughter is even a librarian there. My passion for books was passed on to her, and she is passing it on to future generations through her early literacy programs.

Fiddle music is so much fun. I bet your foot was tapping along as you were spinning. That looks like a really lovely place for a concert.

Burritos...yum!!

Hope you have a fantastic week,
Patti

betty-NZ said...

What a great week for you!

ellen b. said...

Your a good ambassador of your area! That passport message is great. :) I think I'd choose not to defy. I am quite behind on my blog visits. Happy last day of May to you!

A Joyful Cottage said...

I very much admire your spinning and knitting skills. It must be so rewarding to make such beautiful, wearable art. One of the first things we did when we settled here was to get a library card. I still don't own a Kindle, as I would rather hold a book in my hands. I'm old-fashioned that way.