Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Slowly Moving Toward Fall

It is hard for me to wrap my brain around the fact that I will be going back to work this week.  I have had nearly four months off from teaching and I am adjusting my attitude to the idea that my schedule is changing.  It's not that I haven't been preparing lessons and materials for my forty IEW homeschool composition students.  It's not that I haven't been noticing the changing seasons -- even here in Southern California, the weather is telling me that autumn is coming.  It's just that I have gotten used to my summer life.

I had one last summer fling over Labor Day.  A Road Trip!

We drove north and east to intersect with Interstate 5 which runs from the Mexican border to the Canadian border.  Fillmore.  Castaic.  Lebec.  The Grapevine.  All these place names are like familiar friends.  The San Joaquin Valley.



Stockton.  Sacramento.  Williams.  Red Bluff.  Redding.

Northern California is a place of childhood memories for me.  Camping in the Redwoods.  Visiting a great aunt in Yreka. (Did you know there is a YREKA BAKERY?  It's a palindrome!)  Dunsmuir, a small town where the Sacramento River runs swiftly through the mountains.

Mt. Shasta!




Our destination:


So you can understand why I am dragging my feet about jumping in to autumn.

5 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh boy all those names I've seen whizzing by on so many road trips north to south and south to north! Thanks for documenting it.
Blessings on your new school year!!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

I never realized Mount Shasta could lose its cover of snow . . . shows how much I (dont't) know! When were were up there in late April it was covered with snow and I assumed it always was.

Hope your slide back into the workaday routine isn't too bumpy!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Evidently I can't type either - LOL!

Bethany said...

Absolutely! If I could be there, I would be hanging on to summer too! Wow, the vistas are amazing. I love Northern California. It is so different from where I grew up-- it seems so majestic. I love, too, how little towns pop up here and there, and are really charming. Well, summer will come around again in about 9 months, so you'll have to plan more fun adventures for next year! I hope you have a great first week back to school!!!

Tracy said...

It's been a great summer for travels for you, Willow...it's been a joy to see it all along with you! I'd be dragging my heals now too... LOL! Hope the new scholastic year is a great one for you! ((HUGS)) P.S. From next week I'll be needing to take a blogging sabbatical while I have some health & other issues happening just now. I hope to be around when I can. :o)