1. Going from most recent to most distant-- today is The Professor's birthday! Happy Birthday to my husband of almost forty-two years. He still makes me coffee in the morning; he still makes me laugh every day. And he's still cute. Here we are with my brother and sister-in-law on the Columbia River in Oregon.
2. Brother and his wife share a wedding anniversary with us. So whenever we are together at any time near the date, we celebrate! Happy Anniversary to us! Our day included a visit to the End of the Oregon Trail exhibit, and drive up the Columbia River Gorge to Bonneville Dam and dinner at McMenamin's, a popular pub chain which buys and renovates awesome old buildings and sells awesome beer.
3. Visits with friends. On our 2,500 mile trip up the West Coast of the US, we connected with several people from our past. Church friends, High school friends. College friends. And family, of course.
4. We managed to carve out one day to get out and hike. I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon, and lived there for a dozen years as an adult. But there are so many places I never knew existed. Like Canema--a very early native American settlement and later a pioneer community just upstream from the Willamette Falls in Oregon City. In fact, my sister-in-law's mother lived there as a child. I never knew. So we decided to explore the nature park there.
Look! Water. Lots of water!
And green stuff growing!
5. What precipitated this trip? It was the graduation of our son from Stanford University!
[If you scroll down, you will find more photos of this momentous occasion.]
PhD in Anthropology
And now, we are home for a bit and waiting expectantly for the imminent arrival of our PAL and her parents for a birthday visit to Bapa! Happy Weekend! Let us count our blessings--safety, friendship, beauty.