Thursday, June 23, 2016

Midsummer

Midsummer day was bright, sunny and quite warm here at Willow's Cottage.  This week's Fave Fives* include just normal activities.  I like weeks like this and am thankful that it's peaceful and quiet. *link to Susanne's blog so you can participate if you would like.

1.  The Professor and I attended a thank you brunch for volunteers at the county fair.  We do enjoy  helping out and it was nice to be thanked.  I even received a five year award.

2.  Tuesday:  maybe the best day of the week.  I just stayed home and didn't get farther than the mailbox.  I'm thankful for summer days.

3.  I have decided to branch out a bit in creativity.  My sister-in-law inspired me to begin artistic journaling.  So this week, I bought some pens and pencils and just started.

4.  The Professor had fun this week.  He designed, planned and executed the installation of a drip irrigation system.  This way the watering of the garden will be automatic when we travel.  The best part?  I think it was the solar powered control box.

5.  I love to hike.  Today, I joined a couple of other people for a hike up Conejo Mountain which overlooks my community.  Five+ miles with lots of up mountain and down mountain. I think I'm going to be sore tomorrow.


[That road making the sort of left hand bend in the middle of the photo?  That's Highway 101, El Camino Real.]


The views were amazing although the sky was hazy because of the smoke from the wild fire just north of us.
(Below--memories of the fire that swept along the mountains three years ago.)


What are you thankful for this midsummer week?

11 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting about the solar power on your drip system! I'm still dragging the hose around for half of our yard -- hoping to get the rest of our sprinkler system installed in a few weeks. What a blessing that will be!

I started art journaling (and I use that term loosely, as I'm no artist!) in my regular journal a couple of years ago. I like to switch back and forth sometimes. I peeked at your sister-in-law's blog. Her work is so beautiful!

Enjoy the weekend!

Wendy said...

I'm not sure we could rely on solar power for anything right now, we seem to get a sunny day followed by several rainy ones. But then with the rain I don't need to worry about an irrigation system! I love quiet days at home. Have a good weekend.

nikkipolani said...

My first thought on seeing your hike photos was: hot! But perhaps it wasn't as scorching as the dry scrub and haze implies.

Congrats on getting a drip system that's automated! I need to tend to mine and you (or your husband) have prompted me to get it done.

Barbara H. said...

I love days I can stay home all day! How neat to have an automated watering system. My husband would like the solar powered control box, too. It's so nice the fair hosts a thank-you brunch.

Mereknits said...

Your week looks lovely my friend.
Hugs,
Meredith

Gracie Saylor said...

I followed the link to your sister in law's blog and am so pleased to "meet" her and discover our common interests! Thanks for the introduction. I'm glad you had a good week and got to enjoy the smoke hazy view in spite of the smoke hazy part. I posted a new to me view of Mt. Hood from Kelso Road in Boring, Oregon. The solar powered watering system sounds...stellar! Happy Weekend, Willow :) xx

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Congrats on the 5 year award! And I love a good hike as well (preferably in autumn though :)

snoopydogknits said...

We seem to have more rain than sun here on the east coast of the UK. Still, it's making the garden grow! Ros

Susanne said...

wow, never heard of solar powered drip system. Artistic journaling can be so much fun. That hike looks lovely. Sad to hear about the wild fires you guys are experiencing.

Faith said...

I love artistic journaling!! You have some very good photos here...the hike looks awesome. I don't think of this past week as "midsummer" since Summer officially began on June 20th. Midsummer for me is the middle of August. Of course we get out of school two days after the first day of Summer here in NY and we don't go back until two weeks before Autumn officially begins. :)

I missed the FFF last week due to traveling to Boston, MA for 2 college visits with hubby and youngest. We are back now and I am catching up on blog reading :)

Deb J. in Utah said...

Your hike sounds really fun! I would love to do a hike, but this summer, I the only hiking I am doing is on the city streets of Philly. Artistic journaling sounds fun. I may start doing a bit of that myself! Thanks for the inspiration!