This week's Friday Fave Fives may be a bit confused, too. I am thankful even in the midst of a bit of chaos and cold.
1. Although I have visited Washington, D.C. a few times, I hadn't seen anything of the US capital except the National Mall and a few museums. Last weekend, I stayed in DC with a long time friend who has moved there. We were homeschool and church friends in Oregon, in a far away time and place. We always connect if she is in California or I am in DC, but this time it was just the two of us hanging out at her home and drinking tea and talking. We had planned to hike and explore (yes, there ARE hiking trails in DC!), but the snow and freezing cold wind changed our plans. Sunday morning, we attended her church, and that too was a blessing.
Best House in DC
complete with guard dog
2. Driving through residential neighborhoods and along two lane roads gives one a very different feel than the official areas. And of course the snow added another layer of perspective.
3. Daughter #2's moving schedule has changed a bit as she found out through 'chance meetings'* and 'chance conversations'* that the military will indeed pay for the move although her husband is a!ready retired from the Marine Corps. I can't adequately express what a blessing this is! AND, the movers will come in and PACK everything, too! This has taken so much financial and physical/emotional pressure off. *I don't believe in 'chance'--these were God orchestrated events.
4. I love my cell phone. The Professor is in California and I am on the east coast. We can still talk at least twice a day.
5. Some knitting is happening. I finished a pair of socks for my daughter using that yarn from HER stash that I mentioned last week, and since there is plenty left over, I'm working on a matching pair for me.
Update on the home county fires: still burning, still windy. Please pray for Ventura County!