I didn't realize until yesterday, October 2nd that Blogtober was happening. Coastal Ripples mentioned it. So I decided I would give it a try again this year.
In comments on Friday Fave Fives, a couple of people asked why Infirmary Mound used the word 'infirmary'. I didn't know. What did I do? I looked it up.
Evidently, in 1850 a Poor House was established at that location. Later, the name was changed to The Infirmary. Why was the word mound added to it? It is also the site of an ancient burial mound built by an Ancient Native American culture. There are many mounds all over the state of Ohio. In fact, just 3.5 miles from Willow's Cottage there is a UNESCO World Heritage Site called Great Circle Earthworks and Museum.
So that's why the park is called Infirmary Mound Park.
A few photos from the years we have walked and hiked there. (The park is 316 acres!)
The Fairy Trail is located there...








3 comments:
I find earth mounds fascinating!
Thank you for the explanation! Looks like a beautiful place to walk, and the fairy trail is really cute! I do remember you sharing that before and I loved it then as well. Lovely pictures. Love the barn too!!
The fairy Trail is ADORABLE!
Post a Comment