Sunday, May 02, 2010

More Garden Tour

As promised, I am showing more photos of the Garden Tour.  Please be forewarned that this post is picture abundant.

Garden One is a children's paradise.  The owners have five grandchildren who regularly enjoy swimming in the pool, eating marshmallows roasted in the fire pit and playing in the various small cottages located around the property.


The garden is mostly covered with rocks, stones and pathways.  There are patches of ground dedicated to vegetable plots and citrus trees.  Also spread around the pool and cottages are themed gardens such as an English cottage garden and a native Australian garden. Undoubtedly, those grandparents are sharing their love of gardening with their grandkids.


Garden Two is a quiet and tranquil garden that focuses on unusual groupings of Asian plants.  I love this clump of opaque green reeds.


Even the occasional flowering tree displays unusual blossoms.


Garden Three is a happy garden and full of color (owned and designed by our friends), whimsical yet practical.


The family birds greet every guest with chirps and trills of welcome.


I so enjoyed looking at the three raised bed square foot gardens and discussing them with the owners that I forgot to photograph them.  I promise I'll return and get pictures during the summer as the lettuces, spinach, tomatoes and borage flourish and cover each inch of the beds.


Garden Four is divided in to three zones: front entry, entertaining patio (with outdoor kitchen) and a large sloping back garden.  When you have large side areas to landscape, vinca minor can be a great groundcover, especially if you add other plants for interest and variety.


In order to save water in a dry climate, these owners concentrate on planting cactus and other water saving plants.  I don't know the name of this behomoth.  There are at least three of these giants scattered along the pebble pathways leading down and around the perimeter of this very large lot.


The above photo was rather over exposed in the hot afternoon sun.  Focusing closer on the individual columns of small flowers, I was able to catch the brilliant blue more accurately.  I have seen purple versions of this plant around Southern California, but this is the only place I've seen these cornflower colored ones.

I love Garden Tours. Enthusiastically, I gather ideas and become acquainted with new plants that grow well in this mediterranean climate.  An added benefit is unexpectedly running in to acquaintances as we travel between the various destinations.  The best part, though, is appreciating the beauty and knowing I won't have to do any of the watering and weeding. All the fun and none of the work!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

Hi, Willow! Just catching up... and loving this garden tour! I would love to take a dip in that pool! It is still quite chilly here, unbelievably... so warm and water tempt! Happy Days :o) ((HUGS))

ellen b. said...

Fun. I like that blue. That first property sounds huge :0)
Have a good week!

Beatriz said...

I've been trying to grow horsetail (or shave grass) for a while now. I just repotted the one my co-worker gave me. It has so many medicinal uses. Did you make any tea with it? It's really good.

Sunny said...

I particularly like the green Asian reeds - simple, fresh, lovely. Great photos, Willow! It's making me crave a trip to CA.

Flower said...

OOOO..that was a fun tour of four gardens!! You captured good pictures of each place! I kind of like the first yard...pool and all! There is something inviting about a pool!
I'm so glad that you can see these amazing places and share with us!!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

That last plant is fantastic! Wonder what it is! I think it so beautiful! We have such different vegetation here in the east...but vinca is something that grows abundant here as well! And all of the gardens were simply exquisite! What spectacular photographs you took! The bamboo is so beautiful...and that pool? Sigh...simply wonderful! Thank you so much, dear Willow for posting these! I thoroughly enjoyed tagging along! You are so wonderful for inviting us!!! Love you! Janine XO

Allie said...

Oh my goodness! So beautiful! I love ground covers other than grass. I really want to do more of that in our yard.

Caroline said...

Wonderful pictures. I get so inspired with you pictures and almost start believing that I can have a similar garden until I remember what July temps are like:(

Bethany said...

It's all so gorgeous!!!