1. My husband. Hero! Not only does he share the laundry, cleaning, shopping, and dishwashing chores, he cooks too. And he rescues me from horrible monsters and scary laptop messages from the cyber sphere. One evening this week as I was attempting to organize my digital photos, he sat patiently next to me, figuratively holding my hand, while I learned what for me are new technical tricks and for him is 'old hat' stuff that he probably teaches his students the first week of class. Suddenly, a message popped up which warned of the imminent destruction of the universe! Even he, the laptop hero, had not seen this before. He took command of the computer, pushed a few buttons, spoke a magic incantation, and suddenly all was well again. Hero indeed!
2. I am doubly blessed to have a longtime (read: high school) best friend who is also a relative- my brother's wife. Committed to each other for so many years, we chat regularly from neighboring West Coast states, sharing our laughter, tears, hopes, dreams, memories. When we're old women, together we will wear purple, sit next to each other in our rocking chairs, and still be s-i-ls and best friends.
3. I met a new friend this week at the monthly meeting of the local spinners and weavers guild. She's a recent transplant from the North East part of the US. Because we have both moved many times in our lives and we both have interests in fiber arts, we already had much in common. I invited her to have coffee and we're already planning to meet again in January before our next guild meeting.
4. Recently, we reconnected with friends we knew when we lived in Indonesia. Finding out that they are visiting in Orange County right now, we are planning to drive down to see them.
5. Today is a friend's birthday! You know what that means! Coffee, goodies, hugs, best wishes for another wonderful year! I found the perfect photo for her in my digital archives and printed it on a 'birthday' card for her.
As the old proverb states,
"Make new friends, but keep the old.
The new are silver, the others gold.
Do you have friends and heroes in your life who make every day better?