Thursday, January 23, 2014

Busy Days

Here are five of my many blessings from my busy days of this past week.  Although I've heard some hard news concerning a childhood friend with cancer and an older friend who will soon be leaving her beloved husband and family, I choose to pray for them and ask God to bless them in their difficulties and grief.  I understand that sometimes life is hard, and that's why it's even more important to remember the good things in my days.  Susanne helps us by posting Friday Fave Fives every week.

1.  Spending five more days and nights with my girl and the little ones was definitely a blessing for me.  Mostly, we prepped rooms and boxes for their move, but we also took time off to relax.  Of course we had to shop for groceries.  Here is Zoe's grocery list:


The reason this is a fave is because a year ago, she didn't know letters or sounds and certainly couldn't have written any words.  I'm so very proud of her!

2.  Every time I visit San Diego, I try to have one breakfast at The Mission Restaurant in East Village.  The best granola in the world is served there.


The french toast is excellent.


And the coffee--I could go on and on and on about the coffee.  I'm picky about my coffee.  This was the best Americano I've had. ever.  In fact, I ordered a second cup.


The little ones came with us and they waited patiently for their 'brunch'.  Their mama knows how to keep them entertained with cars and leap pads.



4.  I took the Amtrak train home which means -- beach views!  I was sitting on the coast side but the windows were really dirty.  And since I was on the later train, and since it was a 'coastal fog and low cloudiness' day, all my photos look a bit 'surreal'.  Even so, they're beach pictures.  And you can never have too many beach pictures.  (These are especially for you, Kathie!)








5.  When I stepped off the train, The Professor was there on the station platform waiting for me.  That's the very best.

These are the five faves of Willow's Week.  I hope you have taken a few minutes each evening to think about the day's blessings and be thankful.

19 comments:

Mia said...

The Mission has the best. coffee. ever. It's true! Glad you're back with the Professor. :o)

Tracy said...

Oooo... those breakfast selections have me drooling, Willow! Even the coffee, and I'm usually a tea-in-the-morning person... LOL! I like coffee occasionally though, usually with a scrumptious dessert. ;o) So glad you've been having some sweet time with your family. Happy Days ((HUGS))

Faith said...

I'm sorry for the hardships your friends are going through but glad you can find the blessings. In your days. It is so important for us to do that!! LOVE that last photo you took.....soo pretty!! Glad you enjoyed time with your grandchildren and yay for Zoe and her writing!! Happy weekend!,

Ilene said...

After looking at the Mission menu, I'm ready to go west as long as you promise to take me there! Of course, the 10 degree weather, snow and ice that we've been having are also an incentive to make the trip.

Monica said...

Glad you got to spend some extra time with your fam! That fruit and granola look delicious. Now I feel the big breakfast I had is sitting a little heavy on my tummy. :) Beautiful view! Thanks for sharing them. They always make me feel more relaxed!

Barbara H. said...

Glad you got to do some fun things as well as some work things with your daughter and grandkids! And that's VERY smart of her to bring things to keep them occupied while out. We did that, too. I am amazed at people who either expect their kids to sit still and stay quiet for very long in public and then fuss at them when they can't, or let them cause a commotion.

Looks like a yummy breakfast! And great views for the trip home!

ellen b. said...

Great list Willow. I wish train and plane windows stayed clean and bright automatically...sigh.
I am so hungry looking at that great breakfast and I'm remembering being there with a couple of my siblings...
Wonderful progress for your grands...

Bethany said...

Those photos are spectacular... I love the atmospheric look to them. I am now craving a good cup of coffee. I think I'm most thankful for those wisps of time where a moment with loved ones was shared. You can take all of my material possessions but don't take my time with my family! I love riding the train too... its such a relaxing way to travel.

roxie said...

Seriously atmospheric beach shots. Great stuff!

Hooray for Zoe's progress. Many blessings and good wishes to her and her brother!!

Gracie Saylor said...

I am not only happy for you, because you have been enjoying fun and food with your family and wonderful foggy ocean views from your train ride, but I am happy for me because you have encouraged me to appreciate similar happy times in my own life, while still reaching out to support those around me who are struggling with difficult times. Thanks for posting!

Hazel said...

Oh my yumminess, the Mission coffee! Beach views from a speeding train sound so much fun. Zoe's writing is a cutie.

Marg said...

Well, I always love to stop by and visit. Looks like you had some busy days with the grands but by the sounds of it...you could not be happier.
Sorry to hear about the difficult times that your friends are experiencing. That's always hard.
I'm waiting...the booties, hats, cocoon and blanket are knit! I've had so much fun.

Susanne said...

I love those pictures. It brought me another perspective of the beach seeing as I've only ever been by an ocean beach once in my whole life. I can see them through your lens.

I am now drooling all over my computer looking at those breakfast pictures! Yummy. I love breakfast out!

So sorry for the hard news and that your friends have to face those hard things.

Kathie said...

I was thinking as I was reading, oh boy - coastal train - beaches - pictures - and then saw my name! Haha thanks Willow!! I think I love the long pier with the lights - so beautiful!

That breakfast looks so good.I may have to go put on the coffee pot and it's 4pm here.

So glad you had a lovely week with your girl and grands - there's really not much nicer - except that sweet hubbie waiting on the platform for you.

love and thanks!
Kathie

Kathie said...

Ps I got so excited when I saw my name that I forgot to say how sorry I am about your friends. I'm saying a prayer for them right now - and for you. xxoo

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Definitely sounds like a fun week! That granola looks simply incredible!! Love the beach pics. Hope you have a great week ahead.

Caroline said...

My best friend from childhood lives in San Diego, and I've been down to visit her once in the last fifteen years. Your wonderful visits always make me think that I need to fix that....and have myself an great cup of coffee there too.

snoopydogknits said...

Great coastal shots Kate, despite the fog and dirty windows!!!! Ros

nikkipolani said...

Mmmm. Dreamy beach-from-the-train shots, Willow. What I want to know is whether a kitten got picked up from the store along with the milk and banana!