Thursday, February 06, 2014

Is It Really February?

It seems like this year is charging along faster than I expect.  Here it is the end of the first week of February and I feel like I've just celebrated New Year's Day.  One change I'm endeavoring to make this year is to meditate on gratitude every day.  Daily gratitude meshes well with my usual Friday Fave Fives.  Since I'm thinking each evening about what I'm thankful for, it makes writing about my favorite blessing of the week easier.  Gratitude begets gratitude.

1.  Rain.  Yes, again this week rain makes my fave five list.  One day we had a bit of misty spitty precipitation which we could hardly have counted as rain.  But Thursday (today) it really rained.  Less than .25 inch, but it soaked in our very dry ground, and we are grateful for it, every drop.

2.  This book.  The Professor and I and his brother and wife attended a book reading by George Morgan, the author of Rocket Girl.  Rocket Girl is about Morgan's mother, Mary Sherman Morgan, who was the first female rocket scientist.  It's a fascinating biography.  I bought a copy to read and then share with my own rocket scientist, my older daughter.

Cover art

3.  Someone asked me to crochet some rosettes to add to a beanie.  While I may be a knitting ninja, my crochet skill level may be labeled elementary at best.  Beginner is a little too advanced for me.  So when I foolishly agreed to make those flowers, I had to learn some crochet.  Fortunately, I could call my crochet queen daughter and get some emergency crochet help.  I spent waaay too much time on these, but I think I've got it now.  I love learning new needle skills.




4.  I finished a bit of relaxing knitting after the stress of crochet.  These are fingerless gloves for a friend's husband.  Knitting often makes my Fave Fives list because creating useful things gives me great joy, and knitting is a restful and relaxing activity for me.


5.  Last, but not least-- Happy Birthday to my SIX year old grandson, The New Boy!  Oh, I love this boy!



And so ends the week on a happy thought--watching this boy grow into a young man and praying he will become a man of God who is a credit to his mama and a blessing to the world around him.

16 comments:

Tracy said...

The world is amazing... You're having hardly any moisture there. Here we've been having atrocious snowy, wet days...blah... Spring seems a long way away. LOL... But I am glad for your rain there. :o) VERY interesting reading. And your crochet flowers are lovely! That's the first real thing I learned to crochet--a flower for a pin. The fingerless gloves are lovely! Knitting gloves seems somehow daunting to me--those tight spaces... so I'm happy to admire the handiwork of others. New Boy is 6??!! What a grown up young man he looks now! Happy Days as you celebrate that sweet boy! ((LOVE & HUGS))

Mia said...

Happy Birthday to the Bug! We miss him so much! And those rosettes turned out beautifully. :o)

Monica said...

Praying for more rain! A WET spring! I admire anyone who can knit! I wish I could. I can and do crochet in spurts. Hope you have a great weekend!

Susan said...

Love your rosettes. They will certainly fancy up that beanie. I wrote about crocheted flowers too. 5 ladies from church made 120 for our missions tea. I will post pix next week.

Belated happy birthday greetings to your 6 year old. There is a new 1 year old in my family.Love the horse he is riding. Is that Legoland? I haven't been yet.

I wrote about rain too. We seem to be in sync this week. :)

I hope, Willow, you have a great week that is full of non-stressful needle-crafting.

Faith said...

I've been reading about the CA drought here in our NY news....you're welcome to some of our snow :)
Happy Bday to your cute grandson...he's adorable..love the pics!! I don't knit or crochet but my oldest daughter just taught her self last year and is making me a scarf! Those gloves look nice.
happy weekend!!

ellen b. said...

SIX already! Amazing...
Glad you got some more watering in your world. Blessings...

Gracie Saylor said...

Much to be happy about, Linda :) It looks like Snow Storm Orion for us, may be bringing much needed rain to you: Thanks be to God!!!

roxie said...

The New boy is six already? When did this happen? Are you sure? Tell him to slow down. He's growing up wayyy too fast!

YOur rosettes are lovely. Good job!

Barbara H. said...

Happy Birthday to the New Boy!

So glad you got some needed rain.

I love those little rosettes.

That book sounds interesting!

Brenda said...

Love those crocheted rosettes! Fun to learn something new. Let me know how that book is, it sounds interesting.

Jerralea said...

Six? Wow, I remember when the New Boy was, well ... fairly new! I don't think he was walking yet when I first read about him. I can't believe I've been reading you that long. Thanks for all the enjoyable posts!

nikkipolani said...

Rainfall is a thing of beauty here, isn't it? There's something extra cozy about reading a good book while it rains -- Rocket Girl sounds terrific.

Susanne said...

Happy birthday to you Grandson! What a big boy he is getting to be! I think you did really good on those rosettes! I'd never tell that you didn't know what you were doing and had to get help. Love what you said about gratefulness, that gratitude begets gratitude.

snoopydogknits said...

Love those pretty rosettes; so pretty. They were well worth your efforts! Your grandson looks to be enjoying his birthday celebrations! Ros

Bethany said...

Oh, I tried to leave a comment days ago but I've been having computer issues because of our big ice storm! Craig just started a daily gratitude journal last month too. Then God reminded us of some very simple things to be grateful for-- like heat! ;) Your grandson is getting so big! He is a cutie! I'm glad to hear you've gotten rain too. I have been really worried about the drought (not that my worrying helps anything). I think its so funny that crochet is stressful to you but knitting is not. I find it completely the other way around! Your flowers turned out very pretty! You're lucky to have a daughter to help you learn. Have a good end of your week!

Anonymous said...

Crocheted flowers are so pretty. Attic 21 has some lovely ones as well that you might like. I know how proud you are of oldest daughter's accomplishments and character. NB has a wonderful team cheering him on. God's grace in the midst of Real Life....sorry this comment is so late! Mary P