Thursday, March 06, 2014

Lent Begins, Fave Fives Continue

I missed my Fave Fives last Friday.  I had finished 4/5 of the post but just ran out of time because we were not at home.  We were in San Diego helping Daughter #2 finish up packing for her big cross country move.

1. Speaking of moving, I want to spend every possible minute and hour with our girl and the grandchildren before they are 3,000 miles and 3 hours time change away.  Although we were busy cleaning, decluttering, and packing, we still had plenty of time for hugs and snuggles.

2.  One item that wasn't packed and will stay close to a little girl for long distance snuggling is the afghan I finally finished knitting.



It's a large blankie because she's a tall girl.  We had to measure it.


Details (if you care):  64" x 48".  Size #9 needles.  Simply Soft yarn.

3. A rain storm. Another rain storm.  While this is certainly not an El Nino year of constant rains, we have finally had some rain.  Southern California desperately needs rain, and we are thankful for every drop of precipitation.  The sound of rain on the roof.  For this Native Oregon girl, the patter of raindrops is a comforting and memory inducing noise.  I fell asleep two nights to the pat, pat, pat, swoosh, of rain.

4. A highlight of my weeks occurred the last Sunday in February.  I attended Healthy Taste of Ventura which is a seminar focused on---healthy eating choices.  The premise of Healthy Taste is that eating a plant-based diet is the healthiest diet possible.  Since I have been eating that way for more than three years, I guess I'd have to agree.  It's my choice.  The seminar encouraged me to keep on keeping on.

5.  Lent Season is here.  I can't decide if I love Advent or Lent better.  People often focus their attention on giving up something for Lent.  This year I've decided to do something different--I am 'adding' something.  Every evening during the forty days of Lent, I plan to write into a journal three things for which I am grateful.  I'm not a journal girl, but I've been wanting to start a gratitude list, so this is a fitting time to do so.  Do you have a plan for celebrating Lent?

This was Willow's Two Weeks.  If  I don't get around to read and comment on others' Fave Fives, it's not because I don't care.  It's because I will be traveling again this weekend.  Thanks to Susanne for her faithful leadership in Friday's Fave Fives.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Love your afghan. It is so colorful and reminds me of my grandma. Before she passed away, she made many afghans in that pattern. Maybe someday I will make one, but it looks like it would require more concentration than I could give.

I loved the rain too. I even opened the window so I could hear it and the thunder. No rain today, but I am praying for more!!

I am sorry some of your favorite people are moving 3,000 miles away.So gad you had the opportunity to help and CUDDLE.

Have a good week, Willow.

Tracy said...

The afghan is GORGEOUS, Willow... it's simply stunning! LOVE the colors! Glad all the fun family time has continued there. This year for Lent I'm adding too--praying more throughout the day, special Lent-related reading, and journalling too. I'm a journal girl, but first time digging down with a Lent experience in my notebook. Blessings to you & yours this season ((HUGS))

Faith said...

What a gorgeous afghan!! Reminds me of the ones my mom used to make!! I decided to do Lent this year even though we are not catholic. Around here in eastern NY it is the Catholic Churches or Lutheran ones that give up things for lent. But I decided based on the conviction of the Holy Spirit, to give up Facebook for 40 days. I am finding I want to redeem my evening time!! And hopefully after Easter, I will stick to my plan of just going on there 2 times a week!! Pray for me!!!! LOL
So glad you got extra cuddle time with your grands......and I plan on coming back here to read that post I noticed about your hike!!! Will read it after work!!

Hazel said...

Glad you could spend time with loved ones before they move away. The afghan is very pretty. A rain storm, wow! It is something I would very much welcome when I'm indoors and especially when on vacation. Everything just seems right with the world, at least that's how I feel about rain.

ellen b. said...

Ahh glad you are taking all the time you can while you are still close enough for a drive. Glad Cali got some rain. Hoping you get more. Blessings on your weekend.

Monica said...

Your blanket is beautiful! I don't know that I have ever seen a knit one before! Oh I wish I could knit!
Lent is a wonderful time of year to reflect on all the blessing we have! I feel this time of year makes my heart more tender to the Spirit (like at Christmas). I have put my prayer journal in my purse and it often gets forgotten. I am now going to take it out and make it visible so that I journal the entire 40 day of Lent. Thanks Willow and will be praying for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Mary H
This is in regards to your hats blog of Oct. 2009: Could you tell me the name of the pattern for the white hat of CottonEase? I made a similar hat a few years ago and have lost the pattern. Thank you
hathaway@usinternet.com

nikkipolani said...

Mmmm, I LIKE your idea of observing Lent. Roomie has just started a gratitude journal, too. Hope your busy preparation time will reap many moments of comfort for your loved ones.

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

So glad to hear you all got rain. Hope you enjoy your travel! Have a great week ahead.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your afghan is beautiful, Willow!

I like doing positive things for Lent..and more prayer.

Gla dyou spent time with your daughter before her move. Being far away can be hard but thankfully there are many good ways to keep in touch--SKYPE was a blessing to me when we lived in NY.

Safe travels!

Kathie said...

A gorgeous afghan. Like a hug from Grandma :)

We've been following the rain stories in California - so glad for you.

Soak up every minute of your family time!