Monday, March 17, 2014

What I Eat, What I Buy

When people find out that I follow a plant based diet, they sometimes ask me what I eat.  (That's after they back away slowly, concerned that the condition might be catching.)  It's really not so weird.  I eat a lot of vegetables and fruit.  I love brown rice, lentils, black beans, and hummus.  That's normal.  I just don't eat anything with a mother or a face (link here to a better description) although I very occasionally have a bit of salmon. (Yes, salmon has a face and a mother.  I'm not perfect.)

First:  what I don't eat.  In cleaning out the refrigerator this week, I noticed a half empty jar of sweet relish.  Hmmmm, I don't eat it. I don't remember buying it.  I threw out the relish and recycled the jar.  There was a mostly full squeezable container of Miracle Whip back there too.  Best used by date:  May 2010.  Oops.  Neither The Professor nor I eat it anymore.  Out it went too.  Obviously, we haven't been eating those items.  Or the expired Crisco.  The cooked ground beef stayed and so did the other meat.  Those belong to The Professor.

Now:  what I do eat.


Here's the list from today's local farmers market:

spinach, 2 bags
romaine lettuce, 2 huge heads
carrots, 3 bunches
kale, 1 bunch
cucumbers, a dozen
broccoli, 2 heads
little red potatoes, 12
celery, 1 gigantic bunch
baby bok choy, 6
tomatoes, 3
green beans, 1 bag
brussel sprouts, 1 box
asparagus, 3 bunches
sprouted lentils, 1 baggie
sprouted clover, 1 baggie
strawberries, 3 baskets
apples, 7 large
avocado, 3
whole wheat pita chips, 1 box (my decadent indulgence)
dates, 1 package (his indulgence)


asparagus should be placed upright in a bowl partly filled with water until you are ready to steam or roast it and gobble it up

Then we added a few things from the grocery store like bread, frozen blueberries, trail mix, 2 green peppers, 8 bananas, some anaheim peppers and tomatillos for the green salsa The Professor plans to cook up this week.  We threw in 3 cans of garbanzo beans, 2 jars of olives (for hummus) and some almond milk.  Oh, I almost forgot-- a lb of coffee, and green juice to add to our smoothies, and wine, and chocolate.

Will we eat all of this in one week?  Mostly.  The garbanzos were a stock item and we may run in to next week on the carrots and celery because we still had some in the refrigerator.  I'm sure we will be eating our breakfast oats (me) and eggs (him) and maybe some rice and lentils (and meat for him).  But that's it.

It's simple and so easy to purchase and eat what keeps my heart healthy.

6 comments:

Mary H said...

Very interesting grocery list--mine kind of resembles yours, but not so pure. I'm fairly new to your blog and enjoy it very much. At the risk of being a pest, I'm asking again (I already did twice) for the name of the pattern of the white CottonEase hat in your Oct. 2009 blog. I knit a similar hat a couple years ago, liked it, and then lost the pattern

Willow said...

Mary H, sorry I looked and then forgot. The white hat is from Homespun Handknit book by Linda Ligon from Interweave Press. It's called Lace Double Cap and designed by Jane Russell. An older book, it was published in 1987. You might be able to find it in your library. Thanks for being patient and asking again.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

And very tasty too. I love throwing together big pots of soup using all sorts of beans, veggies, etc. and just throw in whatever is at hand and appeals to me at the time. I do eat things with mothers and faces, however, also, but usually not in the soup. Ugh, that sounds terrible doesn't it!

Mary H said...

Thank you so much! I was able to order the book at my library.

Julene said...

Very good list of foods and a load of good tasting things! I'm proud of you for finding a way to eat that has helped you get to a healthier self!!

ellen b. said...

Well are you wearing green or orange today? How wonderful that you have a farmers market available every week of the year and those strawberry fields...some of the year.
Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you!