Friday, May 19, 2017

Keys and Birds and Sunshine all Week

I really thought I'd get more blog posts up this week but here it is already-- Friday. Usually I write about my Friday Fave Fives and celebrate what has been the best of the week.    Here it is Friday afternoon, and my brain is waking up to the fact that 1) it's past time to post and 2) hmmm, I didn't photograph the 25 hats I have ready to sell.  I totally blame retirement brain and beautiful weather.  I do have several faves, however.

1.  Mother's Day.  Since we don't live anywhere near our children or grandchildren, I treasure the phone calls, texts and cards.

2.  There is a sweet little boy we know from church.  I think he has just turned three.  Since we occasionally help out in the 2-3 yo nursery class, he recognizes us and talks with us.  Sunday, he walked up to me and said, "Excuse me.  How many keys do you have on your key ring?"  *melt my heart*  He said, "Excuse me."  So politely.  A glance at Mom's face showed me that keys are his new fascination.  So, I knelt down and pulled out my key ring and we discussed my keys.  Who can resist loving a conversation with such an adorable child?

3.  That conversation prompted me to text his mom two photos-- the first photo is of old keys I told him I owned.  And the second is of keys which the local hardware store gifted me when I went in to purchase 'the cheapest key' they had.  I love my hardware/garden store.  The clerk gave me all those keys to share with our little friend and invited him to come visit and he would show him how keys are made.  If I wasn't already a loyal customer, this would have made me one.  I can't wait to share these with C.



4.  The weather has been wonderful this week.  Our windows are open and I can hear the birds chirping, the quail calling and the owls hooting.  I love living on the edge of a rural area. where the wildlife thrives.

5.  Last but not least, it's finals week at the university.  That means that The Professor is wrapping up his semester.  The best part of it?  It's his LAST SEMESTER!  Yes, he is joining me in retirement!

7 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Wow -- quite a momentous LAST! Congrats to the newest retiree in your home.

The little keyed-up guy sounds adorable. And what fun he'll have with the keys from your new favorite hardware store clerk.

Barbara H. said...

Being able to touch base with our kids on Mother's Day is the best part of it. That was so wonderful of the hardware store clerk! I'm sure your little friend who loves keys will be thrilled. How wonderful that you and the Professor will be retired together!

Gracie Saylor said...

WOW from me, too! Blessings on your mutual retirement...which I dare say will be busy and without boredom! xx

Karen said...

Wonderful favorites! I love your description of all the birds calling. It sounds like a great place to live.

Karen said...

Oh, and congratulations to the Professor!!

ellen b said...

Congratulations to the Professor and to you. The little ones and keys is a very sweet story. We came home today from Dan and Jamie and Addy's and were able to open up all the windows and let the fresh air flow through the house. Lovely. I'm headed to your world tomorrow!

Susanne said...

Wow, congratulations to the Professor! The story of the little fella with keys was so awesome. What a wonderful thing for the hardware store to do! No open windows for us yesterday or today, the wind is blowing like crazy!