I did not expect to be writing my Friday Fave Fives from a hotel in North Carolina. But life is full of surprises, isn't it? It's especially exciting when you're traveling. If all goes smoothly, I will be back in California only a day late.
Anyway, there were faves this week, even in the midst of canceled flights and unexpected delays.
1. Wowowowowow! The writing teachers' conference I attended this week was awesome! I sat in seminars and workshops morning, afternoon and evening for four days and simply absorbed so much. It's going to take weeks to digest it all. I love spending time with people who are passionate about what they do.
2. Making new friends! The conference seemed less like a teaching writing symposium and more like a spiritual retreat and summer camp combined. We bonded during cafeteria meals, over coffee and around the tables after every challenging and exciting lecture.
3. Especially one new friend. We stood on the steps of the lecture hall building and marvelled at how we were reading the same books and thinking about the same things. What a blessing it was for me to discover that I'm not the only person pondering the same fascinating (to us) ideas.
4. Service personnel. I was impressed with the cheerfulness and helpfulness of the staff at the university where the conference was held. It made my stay on the campus truly pleasant.
5. Pleasant, helpful agents in the airport. The young lady who helped me reroute my flight just kept on smiling at everyone.
6. Anticipation. How lovely it will be to get back to my little cottage, my little garden, my little routine.
Unfortunately, I will be traveling all day on Friday, East Coast to the West Coast of the US. I'll have plenty of hours of reading and knitting time. But there will be no internet access, so I doubt I'll be able to get around to comment on others' Friday Fave Fives, although I'll do what I can. If you're interested in knowing more about FFF, click on this link to Susanne's blog Living To Tell The Story.