Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gardens in Phoenix

We have been visiting family in Arizona.  They know we love gardens, so they arranged for trips to two spots.*

*Disclaimer:  photo rich post.

The first one was Boyce Thompson Arboretum State Park near Superior.  When we arrived, the temperature outside was already over 100F.  That didn't stop us.  It slowed us down some.  But it didn't stop us.  This arboretum did not disappoint.  We walked about 1 1/2 miles mostly in the sun with some stretches in the shade.  Although a creek runs along the edge of the gardens and a pond lies in the middle, this is mostly a desert garden.










One way to keep people on the trails


Since evidently we hadn't had enough of the sun and three digit temperatures, we continued on to Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix.  By this time we were hot, hungry and thirsty, so we didn't stay long, and I didn't take as many photos.






If you ever have occasion to visit Phoenix, I hope you will enjoy these two gardens as much as we did.

9 comments:

ellen b. said...

I like walking through these beautiful gardens with you from my computer in my cool family room! That's quite the Rattlesnake sign!!

Sharon Lynne said...

Beautiful pictures! You are brave to bear the heat. I will have to visit those gardens.

nikkipolani said...

Mmmmmm. I love the cool invitation of that fountain amidst all that sunshine. So glad you had a lovely time.

Bethany said...

Beautiful countryside! I do not love heat but I really want to visit out there someday just to see it for myself. I also do not love rattlesnakes so that is a bit scary! The U.S. is just amazing in the diversity of the landscape!

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Desert gardens have a beauty all their own, and they have the most wonderful scents too . . . not roses and honeysuckle but something more earthy I think.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing these lovely desert gardens with us. Mary P

Gracie Saylor said...

Beautiful, Linda! Thanks for posting. Interestingly to me at least :) yesterday a friend drove me to a high desert location in Oregon that has a fabulous pool we swam in for several blissful hours. Your photos remind me of the scenery we enjoyed yesterday...without triple digit temps though!

Tracy said...


Hi, Willow! So nice to catch up with you after our travels! We go back a few days ago after a wonderful time with family and days out & about. :o) Very much enjoyed this look at gardens in a desert setting--fascinating! You can feel the heat through the images... LOL! Happy Days ((HUGS))

GIllie said...

Beautiful photographs. It's fascinating to see gardens in climates so different from our own. Here I battle with heavy clay soil, frost and tons of rain :)