Friday, November 04, 2016

November Delights

It's already November?? Wow.  Eleventh month of the year 2016.  Traditionally, in the US, November is the month of Thanksgiving.  I think it's important to be thankful every day, not just for a month or a few days in November.  That's why I delight in Friday Fave Fives.

1.  Here is the proof that it rains in Southern California.  On Sunday, it rained!


2.  The monarch butterfly caterpillars are back again, chomping on the milkweed.  I had read that monarchs return several times during a single season to lay eggs.  Fortunately, the milkweed plants, which is their only food, have been growing well this year.  I found one chrysalis but because of its position hanging from a dead branch I haven't been able to photograph it easily. (I'll keep trying.)



3.  Here is a yummy fave!  This is an update on the sweet potatoes I planted in the spring.  So far, I've pulled up less than one fourth of the plants and I have a lot of tubers.  Admittedly some of them are weirdly shaped probably because they were confined to a pot.  But they'll still taste fine, right?  I'm super excited!  My first sweet potatoes!


4.  Although I'm trying to knit down my yarn stash, sometimes I need to purchase a skein to finish a project.  I'm thankful for sales and coupons to keep the cost down.  This week I scored yarn for a baby vest to give a sweet little one who is outgrowing the one I gave her a few months ago.

5.  This quote:  A Garden is a Delight to the Eye and a Solace for the Soul.
(Saadi)

And this one:  The Earth Laughs in Flowers.
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Flowers from my garden this week.  I laugh in delight and find solace in my garden.


California daisy


Hummingbird sage


Where have you found delight or solace this week?

11 comments:

ellen b said...

Yay for rain and for sweet potatoes and Monarch butterfly caterpillars. Hope you have a good weekend.

Monica said...

We love sweet potatoes. We stay away from the white ones. ;)
It is a strange November here in Missouri. My flower bed is blooming like crazy! Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to complain at all! I love it. Just wondering if this is the calm before the storm kind of thing.
Hope you keep getting that much needed rain. We could use some here too but not quite like you.
My knitting is consistant lately. I at least get a row or two each day. No marathon knitting here but it's something.
Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoying your gardens... Oh, yes, I always loved the Monarch butterfly. I did a big report on them when I was in middle school.

Mereknits said...

The caterpillars are amazing my friend. Good for you planting all that milk weed.

Barbara H. said...

Our flowers would still be doing well, with the lovely temperatures we've been having, except that we've had an unusual dry spell for a couple of months now. So nice to still see some color out in the yard! I didn't know monarchs laid eggs multiple times. Glad you have some milkweed for them! I'm glad for coupons and sales for craft items as well.

snoopydogknits said...

Sweet potatoes and beautiful stripey caterpillars all in one post! Fantastic! Have a good week. Ros

Gattina said...

This caterpillar looks as if it wore a Halloween costume ! Never seen such a thing !

nikkipolani said...

I've had a monarch caterpillar sighting, too, though I haven't seen him since. Yes, the asclepias have done exceptionally well, haven't they? I've actually had to pull up a few because they were getting a bit out of control (I guess the "weed" part of milkweed).

Faith said...

sweet potatoes are a staple at our house! yum!!! i love them roasted with a bit of nutmeg, cinnamon and herbs de provence. sooo good!!

my solace this past week was the hike imdid yesterday....Ill be sharing about it in an ipcoming post.

sounds like you have had a lot of special blessings this week.

Anonymous said...

I found delight in my grand kids and solace in praying with my prayer partner (most Mondays).

I love the photo of that caterpillar. How wonderful to have the patience and "eyes"to find such delights.

Hurray for coupons and sales. I bet the baby vest was very appreciated.

I LOVE and adore sweet potatoes. How fun to have some from your very own yard. Enjoy!!!

Susanne said...

Yay, for rain! Those caterpillars are huge!! And the shape of the sweet potatoes only makes them more fun to eat!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It's nice to hear there is rain in California. We have had some rain here as well though we don't need it as much as the west coast...it's still sorely lacking.