The month of July is beginning to fade. This is the fourth Friday. Soon it will be August. How do the days move so quickly? Unless I purposely hit the pause button, life just keeps rolling along. That is why I am thankful for Susanne's faithfulness in hosting Friday Fave Fives. Even if I don't post something here at Willow's Cottage during the week, I am still reminded to take the time to write my Five Faves. Thank you, Susanne!
Here are my Fave Fives from this fourth week of July.
1. As I am sitting in the chair in my family room writing this, I am watching the birds in my garden. My favorite is the hummingbird. Finally, all the bright colored flowers and the two red feeders have attracted two hummers here. One of the bird feeders is about two feet from the window. So I can sit here and watch it more closely. Any photos? Nope. My window has a screen on it and it is impossible to take a clear photo. So I just sit and smile when the hummingbird stops by to sip its nectar. I am thankful for a back garden large enough to host all the birds.
2. Another sweet thing about my garden. I never know what is going to pop up where I didn't plant it. Usually it's weeds. But this week as I was wandering around checking to see how soon the next round of raspberries would be ripe, I discovered this:
4. I always love my knit times. Saturday was our monthly group meeting at the local coffee shop. And one morning, I met my Nurse daughter for coffee and knitting just to hang out and chat.
3. This week T and S met us for our coffee date at a new place. This coffee shop is fairly new in its town, but had been recommended by several people even though it is located in the county south of us. It's in a hundred year old house and all the floors and woodwork are original. And the coffee got a double thumbs up from The Professor.
5. I am thankful that during the horrible wind and thunderstorm earlier this week that our family remained safe. At my son's home, there was a several hour power outage, but electricity was back on by 9pm. You may have seen on the news that the roof of a local church (about 4.5 miles from us) was blown off and many trees and branches blew down. That's how strong the storm was. I am thankful that no one was killed and that my family is safe. After that storm, our weather has moderated and we have been able to do some weeding in the garden and to take walks two evenings.
How was your week? Can you find five blessings?
15 comments:
Hello Linda. Sounds like you've had quite a week, with the violent storm! Have a lovely weekend, enjoying calmer weather, good coffee, watching the birds . . . I think my favorite is also the hummingbirds, when they alight on our fountain and start bobbing and ducking to enjoy the water. They fascinate me, too, with how very fast they move! It's astounding.
Yes, we had tornados nearby! Seems that the weather is getting worse and more unpredictable every year. The new coffee place sounds wonderful. It's the kind of atmosphere you just can't find at a Starbucks kind of place.
I like to watch the birds too. I am glad there was no damage to your from the storm. We are having a heat wave and it was 103 degrees yesterday and will be about the same today. Glad you found a new coffee shop to enjoy. Have a great weekend!
I love sitting on my deck in the morning and watching the birds at the feeders. So funny sometimes to see their antics.
My youngest and I just discovered a new to us coffee shop in the mountains yesterday and we are SO going back. it was the best coffee we've ever had and we have been to MANY good coffee shops. Glad you found one, too and the ambiance sounds lovely
July is flying by....I hope you have better weather for the rest of it vs that storm y'all had!
Blessings: 1) We also made it through the last storm with no downed branches, although my daughter lost a tree in their woods and a couple in their neighborhood. 2) I’m always thankful for the rain we had a few days ago. 3) We have had a few cooler days in which gardening is fun. 4) My brother and his wife came over for dinner and Angel Food Cake to celebrate his birthday. 5) I can always count on you to post on Friday and catch me up on the news. Thank you! Mary
My favorites included birds this week, too! It’s so nice to have a yard that attracts them and provides for them.
The coffee shop in the old house sounds like a place I would love. Ambience is half the experience.
Years ago, I belonged to a sewing club. We would gather once a month and sew or knit and enjoy one another’s company. Your visit with your daughter sounds lovely.
Happy Weekend!
...can any one tell me where July went? I want it back.
Oh wow that storm sounds horrendous. I'm glad you and your family are safe and well. I went for a knit and natter this week too but could only natter as I discovered I'd managed to leave a knitting needle at home! I need to refill my bird feeders - having had my daughter, her family and cat here for several weeks it didn't seem right to tempt the birds to the garden and have the poor cat tormented lol. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
That sounds like quite a bad storm! So glad your family was all safe. Those freaky storms can be so very dangerous. Praying for that church congregation that they will be able to repair their roof and sanctuary, as I'm sure it must've gotten wet inside. Oh, watching the birds /hummingbirds is our favorite pasttime here pretty much year round. Especially in the winter when birds migrate south and visit us on the way. Your little sunflower looks like he wanted say hello world!! Some of your birds must've planted the seed! Glad you could have some good times with your family and friends, and that coffee place sounds really nice. I love old homes! Have a lovely weekend. Yes, July is pretty much done, and all I can say is I hope August is cooler, but it never is here. We still need rain so badly. Okay, have a wonderful day!
Yikes a roof blown off is a serious storm indeed! Glad you all only had the inconvenience of a power outage. We are in the midst of a Red Flag warning and were told to avoid mowing and using other machinery outside that might spark and cause a fire. Our county has been okay so far. Surrounding counties seem like they are all on fire. Hope you have a peaceful weekend.
...every day is a blessing!
Oh I love coffee shops in old houses! How fun that you finally got hummingbirds. I have never seen one in person. What a nice surprise the rogue sunflower is. So glad you were all safe in the storm. Those are scarey to go through.
I love that sweet sunflower..blooming where it was planted (or planted itself)! I have a friend here who has a birdfeeder just outside their large picture window. It is a delight to sit in her living room and watch all the feathered friends. I really wish I could find a place like that in my home. Happy Monday to you!
Thank you for sharing. We have hummingbirds visiting too. They are so funny at times.
I am glad all is well after the storm.
We had some bad weather not far from our home too. A lot of damage with trees falling, big trees. Yikes!
Wow, what a powerful storm. I'm glad you all were safe and electricity was restored in your son's area relatively soon. I have the same problem with the bird feeder outside my window--I have a screen, so I can't take clear pictures of them. Sometimes if I even move in my chair, they fly away. So I just enjoy watching them. How fun to find the sunflower unexpectedly. Glad you had some good coffee, knitting, and chat times.
Post a Comment