Friday, September 11, 2026

A Reminder to Be Thankful

Today is a hard day for Americans.  Twenty five years ago, the US was attacked.  Many people died.  Planes crashed.  Everything changed.  Nine Eleven.  Where were you?  It was one of those moments when you will always remember where you were.  I had just returned from a trip to Rome with my older daughter Deb (Rocket Scientist Girl) and was planning to fly home to Portland, Oregon from Los Angeles.  Obviously, my flight was canceled and I had to make other arrangements.  Two days later, I boarded a bus and rode it north on a twenty-four hour trip.  Thankfully, I arrived in Portland safely.  Where were you?

1.  I began this Friday Fave Fives with remembering September Eleventh Two Thousand One-- 9/11-- because I am reminded that I am so blessed to live in a safe country protected by a strong military.

2.  Deb's birthday was in August and we were in Alaska, so we celebrated her birthday on Saturday night with dinner at Olive Garden.  Presents.  Conversations.  Even a few extra guests.  It was a great way to celebrate her.

3.  How did you spend Labor Day?  We didn't do much during the day, and then at the last minute, we decided to have a bonfire and invite the family to join us.  The weather was perfect.  And we didn't cook anything (except s'mores) as we chose BYOD (bring your own dinner).  The Professor and I ran to the pizza shop but it was closed, so our second choice was P*nda Express.  An added benefit is that we managed to eke out THREE meals for each of us over the next few days.  I love sitting on our patio in the evening and watching the embers in the firepit.

4.  Tuesday evenings are always Trail Life.  The Professor is a leader and our grandson Liam is part of our local troop (Older grandson Nathan has aged out now that he is eighteen).  The troop met at Dillon Lake State Park which is near our city to play disc golf.  I joined them, not to play with them but to walk around the campgrounds and enjoy the beauty of this lovely park.

5.  Medical appointments.  Our dentist appointments went well.  Good news!  Also, I had an appointment with my dermatologist and she is happy with the progress I've made in managing all my allergies.  I am thankful for good health and for the excellent health care we have. 

6 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Good news about your appointments! I have several allergies as well, and take three allergy meds each day.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I will never forget.
Glad your appointments went well.

Faith said...

Yay for birthday celebrations and time in a state park.
Love bonfires...I think I listed mine as well.
I didn't know dermatologists treated allergies!! I have an allergy to birch pollen so chose NOT to keep going to the ENT or use RX drugs and instead I manage it from mid-March to May with Allegra or Allegra D.

I'm also allergic to eucalyptus and lavender so can't have that scent in anything.

Where was I on 9/11? I was having my third cup of coffee as it was my day off (I was only teaching 3 days a week back then at a crisis center) and getting ready to take my youngest girl, then a 2.5 yr old to her Tumbling Tykes class. She was playing with her Thomas the Tank trainset in the family room. The tv was off as we rarely watched it when the girls were in there. The phone rang, my church friend was sobbing hysterically telling me to turn on the Today Show. I was stunned, saddended and angered. I began to cry and Claire in her little toddler voice, asked You ok Mommy? So I prayed out loud for our nation and Bush, etc and all the people affected (As a NYer this was a VERY hard day) . And then the phone rang again and it was Tumbling Tykes saying all classes the rest of the week were cancelled. I remember the weather here in NYS was like it is today: perfect late summer temps of 72 and perfect cerulean blue sky with puffy whilte clouds. My friend who called me said her cousin was supposed to work at the Top of the world restaurant in the WTC and something (God) told him to stay home and call in sick. He did. He would have been killed. Of course then he had to cope with the guilt of calling in and having his employees killed. One local man was killed that I know of as he commuted every day by train from albany to NYC.

Aritha V. said...

Thank you for this lovely post. I appreciated the way you began by remembering September 11. Even after all these years, it still feels like such a heavy date.

I have to admit, I don’t really know much about Labor Day, but I’ve seen it mentioned on so many American blogs this week.

And I’m really glad to hear your allergies are doing better. After dealing with something like that, good news from the doctor must feel extra welcome.

I hope you have a peaceful and lovely weekend.

Carla from The River said...

It was great to catch up with you. :-)
I love the photo of your birthday girl.
xo

Barbara Harper said...

I used to volunteer at my children's' school on Tuesdays. On that particular Tuesday, I was in the car on the way to school and turned on the radio news, where I heard about the first plane crash. I went into the school office with "Did you hear...?" They had, and had a TV on. Everyone thought it was a horrid accident at first, until the second plane crashed. My volunteer activities were canceled, and we were pretty much glued to the TV at home. I was fearful that this was just the beginning of days and weeks of attacks. Thankfully, that was not the case. What we did experience was bad enough. After all the horrors, it was amazing to hear stories of courage and bravery afterward.

Belated happy birthday to your daughter! We had a quiet but enjoyable Labor Day. I'm glad your appointments went well!