Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Gaslamp Quarter

After several rainy, cloudy days, the sun shined on San Diego.
Downtown is not too small, not too large; it's just right.
Especially the Gaslamp Quarter.


This Greely storefront was built at the end of the population boom and beginning of the bust.  In 1888, the population of San Diego plummeted from 40,000 to 16,000.  Read more about San Diego's time line here.


Every American city had a Woolworth Building.


New buildings are being constructed in Downtown San Diego.


Older structures are being renovated.  Some like this lovely hotel have elegant 'legendary style'.


I have always been fascinated by the juxtaposition of old and new buildings.


I wonder what is being built here.


If you ever visit San Diego, I hope you will enjoy a wander around San Diego's Downtown Gaslamp Quarter as much as I did.

11 comments:

Hollace said...

I love downtowns, too, seeing them find ways to stay alive when the folks have all gone out to the burbs. I also love the juxtaposition of old and new architecture.

ellen b. said...

You got some great shots with some very cool perspective. You know me...I love to wander...

roxie said...

We were enchanted by the gaslamp quarter as well. What fun they make history there!

Knitting Linguist said...

I love that district myself, but those pictures really make me see it with new eyes. Thanks for sharing them!

Maggie said...

Those buildings look beautiful! I agree that the old and new architecture looks really neat together.

Tracy said...

WOW... just love seeing all the architectural details! I love the variety of a great downtown area... Fun post, Willow! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

Barbara said...

Every British town had a Woolworth building too. How times change.

Ally Jay said...

It looks like a lovely place.

Bethany said...

I love the old architectural elements! I am adding San Diego to my bucket list!

Elizabeth said...

I have never been to San Diego and now want to visit!
Greetings from New York.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

San Diego is a favorite place to visit and so I'm enjoying all your photos here.