It's Friday and time to write up my Friday Fave Fives. Unfortunately, I didn't get any more photos of Descanso Gardens posted, but I will do that soon, soon, soon. I do have a couple of good excuses though, as you will see. Without any more preliminaries except to remind you that Susanne at Living To Tell the Story hosts us every week and you are welcome to join us in celebrating what we are grateful for during the week, here is Willow's Week:
1. So at 10:30pm Friday night, my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but I answerd it anyway. I wasn't asleep, and I could just tell the person on the line that it was a wrong number. But it wasn't a wrong number! It was my son calling from Jordan, from the Dead Sea. After saying several times, "Sorry, I can't hear you very well," we switched over to a Skype call. Clear. Quick. Steady. Skype calls are amazing! And then on Monday, he called again from his archeological dig site using his newly purchased international phone. Oh I love hearing his voice and knowing he's OK.
2. Our kitchen is newly painted. Notice that I did not write that I am thankful that we painted the kitchen although we did in fact paint it all ourselves. It was major effort of cutting, brushing and rolling, but it's almost finished. We still have most of the cupboard doors to paint but everything else is done and the paint is hardening. What color? White, of course. And the added little benefit will be that as I replace everything in the drawers, I will have the opportunity to declutter anything that is just not going to make it back into the kitchen.
3. As I type this, my precious grandson 'The New Boy' is snuggled up next to me on the sofa at his house. We are visiting him and his mama for a week. He's getting so big and he's talking and recognizing that the number at the beginning of the last paragraph is 'two'. Maybe I should change his name to 'Our Boy' because he's really not 'new' anymore.
4. Yesterday afternoon, we drove to LA for our flight to Ohio. We always plan our trips to LA carefully to avoid the worst of the traffic. Since we had several hours to wait near LAX before we needed to be at the airport, we had dinner with our friends. It was great to just sit on the patio of the Mediterranean restaurant and chat for a couple of hours without rushing off somewhere else. Then they dropped us off at the airport because our car is parked in their driveway for the week. Those are friends indeed!
5. Because we flew on a 'red eye special' overnight, for four hours, we didn't get much sleep last night. I claim that as the excuse for BOTH of us to forget that today was a special day. We didn't remember that it was our thirty-eighth wedding anniversary until our daughter in law called us to wish us 'Happy Anniversary'. I am so very fortunate to be happily married to a wonderful faithful man. He makes me laugh every day, he fixes me a latte (or two) every morning, and after all these years, he still tells me he loves me. I'm truly blessed!
No photos tonight because I'm typing on my daughter's computer. If I get my own laptop up and running here, I'll try to add some pictures. In the meantime, do let us know what you are thankful for in the comments.