1. Finally, there is evidence of autumn in Southern California. While the temperature hasn't dropped, the flora is showing the season. I do love the color changes which tend to be more pink and red rather than orange.
2. Speaking of autumn, yeah, I love love love Southern Califerornia mediterranean fall weather--dry and in the 70s.
3. Again this week I had occasion to drive to Santa Barbara. There is something about that drive along Hwy 101, hugging the Pacific Ocean. It is. Just. Beautiful. In fact, we did that drive twice. One Sunday, we enjoyed a delicious lunch with two friends. I think we sat there in the restaurant for nearly three hours, chatting. What a blessing that was!
4. Monday, Veteran's Day, was a holiday, so we decided to do something special. What could be more special than a visit to Getty Villa? Again, we drove along the Pacific Ocean coastline (this time on Hwy 1), AND we saw the CYRUS CYLINDER. Click on the link to learn more about this amazing archeological treasure.
The Getty Villa is breathtakingly, heart-achingly beautiful during any season, but in autumn the landscape glows and complements the colors in the buildings.
5. I saved the best until last. I *heart* technology! On Monday evening in our time zone, our family orchestrated a five way conference call via skype, so we could chat with each other across seventeen time zones! I appreciate the care and love my kids have for their family, and I love how they sacrificed their time to be available to make the call happen. From the East Coast of the US, to the Southwest desert, to the Pacific Coast, to Eastern Indonesia, we all connected so Son #2 could tell us about his research, Son #1 could share about his new hospital chaplain position, we could find out that The New Boy likes school and his favorite subjects are computers and recess, and we could hear the latest about adoptions progress and Marine Corps gunnery sergeant course. This mama's heart was bursting with thanksgiving for my four children and their love for us and each other.