Thursday, February 03, 2022

Cool

 That's how I would describe our weather.  COOL.  Or rather, cold. Or frigid.  We are having a 'winter storm' here.  That means there is lots of snow and ice.

So that also means The Professor and I are COOLing our heels here at home. The farthest we have ventured from the house today is the compost bin.  We may not go that far tomorrow as the forecast is for four to six inches of snow tonight on top of the snow and ice already on the ground and in the streets.

My Friday Fave Fives are certainly going to be different this week.

1.  I am thankful for power.  So far, we have not lost our electricity.  Knowing we could lose it means that we appreciate every hour we have it.

2.  I am thankful for other options.  We have our lanterns, flashlights and candles ready.  We have snuggly blankets.  We have boots, gloves, and jackets.  We have food and water.

3.  I am thankful for things to do to keep my mind occupied.  Books.  Obviously.  Projects to focus on.  This afternoon, I finished a project I had procrastinated--hemming a tablecloth.

4.  I am thankful for yarn.  After finishing a pair of socks for granddaughter PAL,

I rummaged around in my stash and finally decided to do something with this nubby handspun yarn.  I didn't spin it.  All I know is that it is combined wool and silk noil (raw silk) and hand dyed probably with indigo but maybe woad (no way to be sure).  Anyway, I have started a very basic shawl since the yarn is certainly texture rich and striking enough to stand on its own.


5.  Before all this weather excitement happened, we did get some fun walks in.  This is along a trail near Older Daughter's home.  I love the river!  Even in COOL weather.



So this has been Willow's COOL Week.  I hope you are all staying safe, warm, and well and able to cool your heels and relax a bit.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Snow looks so pretty, and that river picture is great! No snow here in So. Ca. I think you are from California. Stay safe and warm.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you had a COOL week. It's been cold here as well. I have been exercising downstairs on my stationary bike and health walker all week. I am glad you have plenty to keep you busy and occupied when you stay inside. I love the socks you are knitting for your granddaughter. Have a great weekend. See you again soon!

Faith said...

well up here in eastern NY we stil only have an inch of snow BUT...we have ICE ICE ICE. horrible ice storm overnight and the sleet is still falling so all schools are closed. Apparently the western and central part of the state received the snow. I think at this point i'd rather have snow than ice.

LOVE the socks!!

LOVE the fact you could get a quick hike in before your weather arrived.

Stay safe and have a good weekend full of good books and projects!

nikkipolani said...

Good to hear that you've got some interesting projects to engage with -- you'll turn that nubby yarn into something gorgeous.

That last photo is ethereal with that cool looking blue.

Gattina said...

The same here except we have not had a single snowflake this winter, instead it is very humid and grey and often rains. So I don't like to go out only for food shopping when it's necessary and of course when I visit Rick twice a week. Fortunately it's warm and cozy inside the apartment !

Karen said...

Your week sounds pretty cozy, too! Knitting and books and staying indoors. It's been snowy and Cool here, too, this week. Looking forward to a warmup beginning tomorrow.

Wendy said...

Staying home, knitting and reading sounds ideal, especially if the power goes out. You sound very prepared though but I hope it stays on for you.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Cold days are for staying inside, and your knitting looked like the perfect project.

Our Colorado weather is usually not too cold in winter as we rarely have clouds and the sun feels hotter here with our elevation and dry air. This week, however, we had an "arctic blast" of severe cold with subzero temperatures and snow for a couple days. School was even closed for a day because of it! Thankfully, our furnace was able to keep us warm and we have gas fireplaces which also come in handy during cold days. I also baked a bit so our oven could heat up the kitchen.

Monica said...

We also got this storm in Missouri. I didn't leave the house Tuesday night through Friday morning! I wasn't worried about losing power but found it extra difficult to keep warm! Propane is very pricy, so I use an Edenpure for back up heat. The sun is shining today and temps should be in the mid 40's. Hope some of this melts off.
Hope you are able to get out.
I am curious to see how you turn that homespun yarn into a beautiful wrap.

Barbara Harper said...

At times in our lives, it seems we lost power frequently during storms or snow. Bad weather often puts me on edge, hoping and praying we don't lose power again. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often now, and doesn't stay off for long when it does happen. We have flashlights and lanterns, too, for if and when it does.

Winter is not my favorite season, but I have found as well that it helps to keep busy to keep my mind off the cold and gray.

Have a cozy weekend!

ellen b. said...

All the good things to be thankful for when there is snow and ice on the ground. We are finally going to be above freezing this week so our snow will melt away some. I finally designated a pair of shoes to keep my ice cleats on until all this stuff melts. It's easier to slip the shoes off after gingerly walking to the garage and then switching them for the shoes I'll wear to town and repeating the process when I'm back home again.