Friday, February 18, 2022

Five Cheering Things

 Hello from cold, snowy Willow's Cottage.  I have absolutely no ambition to do anything.  However, I need to focus on something positive.  FRIDAY FAVE FIVES does that for me.   We choose FIVE somethings from the past week and post them to encourage ourselves and others.  Here is Willow's Week in FIVE encouraging statements.

1.  Although it is cold and snowy today, the middle of the week was warm (I mean warm in Ohio terms, not Southern California terms).  Because the ice mostly melted, we were able to get in a couple of walks Tuesday and Wednesday around our neighborhood.  Crunching around the leftover ice patches slowed us down but kept us from slipping and falling.

2.  In fact, it was so nice out that people were outside sitting on their porch steps and watching their children play.  We finally met a neighbor on the street behind us and reacquainted ourselves with neighbors on our street.

3.  Now it's back to winter weather again.  I decided to dream a bit about traveling.  So I pulled up some photos of our 2019 trip to England and scrolled through them.  Want some cheer? Two photos from Dover.  (I think I am going to make some posts about that trip--I never did that)


4.  Obviously, I have England on my brain.  I've been reading more D.E. Stevenson novels.  This week I've been immersed in her stories about living in UK during World War II.  Crooked Adam and The English Air.  Books are a wonderful antidote to winter.

5.  Plans for a Lent study with my Art Girls!  When I saw the email, I knew we would have some wonderful mornings chatting via zoom.  Our book choice is a new non-fiction work by Andrew Peterson, God In The Garden.  I'm excited to read the book and enjoy the fellowship of my friends.

What FIVE things have cheered you up this week?

10 comments:

nikkipolani said...

Even though it is warm (SoCal: 70s) here, I have the same problem - no ambition to do anything. Except lounge with cats. Tea and snacks, too, of course. And books! Glad you are antidoting Winter with books and good memories of England. Love those sunshiny almost-minimalist photos. And am extra glad you haven't fallen in your snowy, icy land.

Wendy said...

Dover would not have looked so lovely today I doubt as Storm Eunice has blown in from the south and west. I've been there many times but usually just passing through on our way to France. Sadly we haven't done that for a while. Glad you were able to get out and about and meet some neighbours. Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

1. I’m reading a new book by Steve Solomon: Water-wise Gardening. Really good so far; 2. I am knitting a cute little elephant (Elijah by Ysolde) in a happy orange color; 3. Willow just posted her weekly blog; 4. We have had some days with sunshine even during the windy, cold weather of mid-February; 5. “I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer” over and over. Mary

Faith said...

The book God in the Garden sounds like one I would love.
Those are such peaceful, pretty pictures of a country I would love to visit. One day I sure hope to do that!
It was warm Wed and Thursday here too and now it is back to temps in the upper 20s. BRR....I'm counting the weeks until spring! (4). we have no snow left though and all winter we only managed to get 3 inches!! Rather strange for eastern New York.

HAPPY WEEKEND!!

Monica said...

Your week in weather sounds like Missouri. The got a small second icy mix Thursday but it's melted and gone today.
Love to hear about your trip to England! My dream trip!

Have a great weekend!

Deb J. in Utah said...

It's spring like and sunny here today, but another snow storm is expected on Monday. It should be a nice weekend though. So glad you were able to get out and walk and visit with some of your neighbors. Your Lent study sounds interesting. Have a good weekend. See you again soon.

Barbara Harper said...

I'm glad you had some warm weather and were able to get out for some walks. I read Amberwell and Summerhills by Stevenson a few years ago and enjoyed them. I need to read more of her stuff. I haven't read any of Andrew Peterson's books, but I have his Adorning the Dark in my Kindle to read some time.

Karen said...

Our weather has been off and on of late. We get snowy days, then warm, but not enough to melt the snow. Another storm is expected Tuesday. This is really messing with my walking routine! The Lenten book sounds really interesting! I'll have to look it up.

ellen b. said...

It's fun to get out and meet the neighbors again. Love your photos of England. I could dream about a trip there, too.

Susanne said...

Peaceful rural settings those pictures are. Can't wait until my view is like that, blue skies, green grass. Warm weather, walks, neighbor chats, books. Sounds like lots of good blessings in your week!