Friday, October 14, 2022

Falling for the Season

Autumn is in full swing here.  Brilliant colors.  Falling leaves.  Cooler temperatures.  Here in my new(ish) state, fall is my favorite season.  I hope it lasts a long time this year.  Each week of autumn seems to be filled with so much color and many many blessings.  Here are five (well, seven, really) which I am sharing for Friday Fave Fives (follow the link to join).

1.  On Saturday, I joined a group of ladies on a day trip to Amish Country.  My friend's church sponsored it and we drove up in a van.  The weather was perfect autumn.  Of course, that meant the town was very very crowded with tourists and visitors.  Mostly, we wandered around and checked out all the stores.  Because it was so busy, we were fortunate to have reservations at a local restaurant.  The best part was just spending time with my friend and one of her family members.



2. Of course the trip there and back was filled with old barns and farm land.


3.  Sunday was another stunning fall day.  We took eight of us and two dogs to the local arboretum and hiked 3.5 miles.  There is an area that does not have paved trails and we thoroughly enjoyed walking under all the trees.






4.  We thought we were going to have our first bonfire on our new patio.  But, literally, just as The Professor was cutting the kindling to start the fire, guess what.  It started raining.  I guess we'll just have to wait a few more days.

5.  This week was our youngest granddaughter's birthday!  PAL is EIGHT!  She called us to thank us for her present which actually arrived on time.  She also received an American Girl doll, so we discussed what kind of sweaters Meema should knit for it.

Bonus:  I had an appointment with the 'hand doctor'.  After examining both of my hands, he suggested two more shots of pain meds in my right hand, and upcoming surgery on my left to deal with the trigger finger issues.  I have been in much less pain!  So thankful!

Bonus2:  My absolute favorite photo from the weekend is this one:

Have a wonderful week full of God's blessings!

11 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

I would love to spend some time in Amish country. My husband and I were discussing a possible trip to Pennsylvania where we would see a lot of historical places and of course, spend some time in Amish country. I hope we can pull it off some day. Glad you are in less pain and I hope the surgery for your finger goes well. It always seems to be something as we age. Happy Birthday to your sweet granddaughter. Our youngest granddaughter will be turning 4 at the end of the month. Time goes so quickly. I hope you have a great weekend!

Karen said...

Oh, I love that photo! Wow, it should be on a greeting card:)

My son and daughter-in-law live in Amish country in Wisconsin. I love visiting there. I imagine the fall would make it all especially beautiful. It sounds like you had a lovely day.

Sending good thoughts about your hands and glad you are experiencing some relief!

My daughter is moving back from California next month, and she's so excited to be back where there are "seasons" again. I, too, would miss the changes in color, even though ours is pretty laid back compared to the trees in the midwest and east coast. Your family hikes always look like such fun.

Sandi said...

I would love to visit Amish country.

I remember a few years ago there was a tragedy in one of their communities. They all got together to bless the family of the one who was at fault and forgive him. Incredible, just moving beyond words.

Faith said...

Oh I just LOVE Amish Country in PA (never been to the one in Ohio) and of course we have an area (actually several) where they commune in the central part of NY. Glad you had a chance to go in perfect Autumn weather. LOVE the hiking pics!! yay for hiking on wooded trails and NOT pavement! Pavement is just a walk (that's what we say here).

Happy birthday to your little PAL. My daughters both stll have their American Girl dolls safetly tucked away in our basement. I sure do miss them being little at times.......

(and as of tomorrow we are going to be full time empty nesters!!! Claire is moving to her own apartment about 20 miles south of us....) I also wanted to tell you I have been away from FB for this month (I think an intagram pic i posted was pushed over to it though). I deactivated the account due to some extended family drama. Will be back on at month's end. just wanted to let you know I did NOT unfriend you :)

Schotzy said...

How wonderful to visit Amish country with your church ladies.. We did that a few years ago on a church trip and it was so much fun to share the beautiful of that particular are with like minded friends! It is my hope if things do not go south this coming year to have our daughter and the grands meet us halfway in Lancaster and do The Amish with them. I bought the girls books form an Amish writer and they loved them. and the writer does the chalk painting display where she tells the Bible story and draws all the while sharing a picture then rubbing it out and sharing and rubbing til at the end what is revealed in a different light is a beautiful picture of Jesus on the cross or some other picture that goes with the story any way. I hope it all works out!!!
Blessings! Schotzy

Barbara Harper said...

I grew up in TX, where the leaves just go from green to brown. So I am loving all this fall color, too. The only problem is that the most scenic places are full to the brim. But even just driving around town is beautiful this time of year.

The Amish trip sounds fun! Good idea to have reservations for the restaurant.

Happy birthday to your PAL!

I'm so thankful your hand pain has lessened.

Mia said...

I love that picture of the two trees! Glad you had such a beautiful visit to Amish country!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Your photos make me "homesick." I used to love visits to Holmes County. The last photo is my favorite, too. Stunning! xo

nikkipolani said...

Oh! My aunt (from Chula Vista) was just visiting PA's Amish towns this past week. She was part of a small group and enjoyed every moment.

I'm sure autumn is beautiful in your neck o' the woods. Loving those rolling hills and barn photos. And those walks under trees! Sigh. Glad you are having less pain in your hands.



PaulaShort said...

Willow, what a fantastic week. Sounds like you had a great time in Amish country. Your photos are stunning.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a lovely day out to the Amish area. Hope you stay pain free and the operation goes well. Our youngest grandchild will soon turn 2. Time flies!