Friday, July 14, 2023

Bastille Day Means...

 Good morning!  It's Friday, July 14th! Bastille Day! (an important date in France, commemorating the storming of the Bastille in 1789)  Fridays always mean Friday Fave Fives here at Willow's Cottage.  Join me in celebrating five blessings that have filled my week.  (link takes you to Susanne's blog, where she hosts us every week)

Here is what has happened this week at my little cottage.

1.  A hike is always a good thing.  On Saturday, all the family hiked at Black Hand Gorge with all the dogs, too.

Can you find Tall Boy?



ZG and her bio brother whom she had not seen for fourteen years.  He and his adopted mom visited us for the weekend.  What a celebration!  (These were the 'friends' we were with on our trip to Amish country.  I just didn't feel comfortable sharing that detail until my daughter and granddaughter made it public.)


2.  We have a new car!  I am so very thankful for reliable transportation after our old car decided to not start anymore.

3.  Trail Life is an important part of our two grandsons' lives, and The Professor's, too.  Trail Life is a faith based 'Boy Scouts'.  This week's meeting involved what is called 'cross-over', the advancement of troop members to the next level.  Both grandsons moved up to next levels.  At the ceremony, they literally cross over a bridge (at one of our local parks).


4.  After so many days of heat and humidity, this morning we had fog!  That cooled our morning down enough that we could actually sit on our back patio and sip our morning coffee.  The Professor and I reminisced about those Southern California June Gloom days and were thankful that Ohio's July Fry days had taken a short break.

5.  Today is Bastille Day.  It is also our wedding anniversary.  Fifty Years!  (yeah, we really are that old...)  It is also my brother and sister-in-law's anniversary!  Happy Anniversary to them, too!


8 comments:

Susan said...

Happy 50th anniversary Willow!!! Love your picture too. We are going on 49 next month. Nice that your grandsons have moved up in their group. My sons were in Royal Rangers and my brother was their commander. Your nature walk looks so nice. I am hoping I can go on one next week. Enjoy your weekend!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, Happy 50th Anniversary!! Congratulations on making it to the half century mark! Love the picture of your wedding day! We will celebrate our 54th next month! I still can't believe we are THAT old! LOL. Love the pictures from your family/hike/bridge/etc. Happy to know there is a faith based scouting for your grandsons. It's so sad what has happened to the real Boy Scouts. (and Girl Scouts are also becoming very liberal in their teaching...just not the same as it was in our day). Enjoy your summer days. I didn't hear about the trip to Amish country. I am behind in reading. So I will check things out. Take care and God bless you all.

Karen said...

Happy 50th Anniversary! I love the wedding photo! It's always nice to see how you and your family enjoy the outdoors. It looks so green where you are, and the trails are beautiful.

ellen b. said...

That certainly is a special anniversary! Happy 50 years to you and the professor! It was hard to spot the kids way up there! What a special reunion and meeting with the other parents you had. I love the idea of a faith based trails group and what a special ceremony to 'cross the bridge'. Hope you have a lovely celebration!! Speaking of Bastille day, my sister Kathy's younger daughter, Melissa is in France right now.

marina said...

oh, wow! Happy, happy anniversary. You are so beautiful and happy in that photo!

Faith said...

Happy Anniversary again...I hope you had a special celebration!

THat looks like a trail I'd love to explore.

How fun for your granddaughter to meet her brother after all those years!! wow!

YAY for the Christian version of Boy Scouts. I love the ceremony of crossing over a real bridge.

I hope you have a relaxing weekend

Barbara H. said...

Happy, happy 50th anniversary! Glad the family had a good meet-up with the bio and adoptive families. Yay for a new, reliable car! I like the Trail Life ceremony.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

How nice that you can all get together and hike! Happy anniversary. It's quite a coincidence that you share the date with your brother!