Friday, July 28, 2023

July is Almost Over

End of July.  Wow.  This month flew past us.  And so did the week.  It's already Friday again and Friday Fave Fives time.  Here are five events here at Willow's Cottage that have given me joy.

1.  Rain.  Some days, just a few sprinkles.  One night, a huge thunderstorm.  In this hot season, we'll take what we can get and be thankful for it.

2.  Errands completed in record time.  The Professor and I were able to have our new car registered at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles in record time and for Six Bucks!  Gotta love small town Ohio!  Then we stopped in at the Soil and Conservation building to ask for identification of a plant that is growing in our back yard.  Dean immediately took the plant and started his research and quickly came up with an answer:  fringed yellow loosestrife.  I had searched all over the internet to no avail.  He had the answer in under a minute.  And he didn't seem annoyed with our request.  I am thankful for errands done.

3.  On that same trip, we dropped off a few items at the local St. Vincent de Paul thrift store.  Then we popped in to search for a couple of things.  SCORE!  I found a large roll of drapery material that I can use to sew new curtains for our RV.  Ten Bucks!  And when we gave my phone number and name for their bonus program, the clerk recognized my name and declared, "You are 'older daughter's' mom!"  He has worked with Older Daughter for years as her manager (even when she was a new employee in Southern CA) and is now part time and she is his manager!  Love small town connections.

4.  Sunday afternoon, Younger Daughter wanted to take her dog on a walk and asked if we could join her.  Of course!  We will take any opportunity for a walk and time with our kids.  Her son loves finding hearts in nature and sending pictures to her, so when she found this leaf, she snapped a photo and shared it with him.  And sent it to me, too.

5.  The Professor did some magic with my cell phone.  My phone was completely out of memory, so he added an SD card and showed me how to move photos over on to it.  Now I can take more photos AND get the old ones organized in folders.  MAGIC!

And that is how July is ending... with magic and rain and air conditioning and joy.

6 comments:

Faith said...

I love your faves! Ohio only charges $6 to get your car registered?? WOW you are blessed. NYS it is $55!!! yup. but we can do it online so that's a plus i guess. It's the same price no matter how you do it.

Our oldest daughter Courtney used to ALWAYS look for hearts in nature. We typically would find heart shaped rocks on the Adirondack mountain trails. In fact, I kept one and we also would find some on the shores of Cape Cod. recently i came upon a heart shaped leaf on a local trail. I love that your grandson does this too.

We are enjoying our central air this week too. It's been a HOT one today. up in the 90s. Next week will be cooler and I praise God for that cause i have a mountain to climb on monday.

marina said...

I like your faves too. And I agree with Faith: you are lucky to be able to pay only $6 for your car registration.... Don't you love it when you score at a thrift shop?!! It's the best feeling 😀. I love that heart leaf!
Wishing you a good week ahead.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I am glad you have had a good July. Ohio's car registrations are very economical. $6 - wow. Utah is much more. I like that heart-shaped leaf. Hope your July ends on a high note and that your August is a good one too! See you again soon!

nikkipolani said...

Love all the magic in your Faves! Small town magic, heart magic, reference magic, and rain magic!

Barbara H. said...

I'm late visiting for FFF this week. Glad you got some rain and errands run in good time. I have some things for the thrift store accumulated in a box, but have seen a few more things around the house I want to toss in. Good deal on the drapery material! Our RV came with curtains that were still in good shape, thankfully.

That's so fun about the heart-shaped things. I have a Pinterest board for things like that, both in nature and in the house.

Yay for phone magic!

ellen b. said...

Nice favorites! Air conditioning is high on my list these past several days. Happy August to you.