Tuesday, October 24, 2023

An Afghan for a Sweet Baby Girl





 I love knitting.  And I love knitting for babies.  A mama at my church is due to have a new little GIRL within the next week.  Obviously, I had to knit an afghan for her.

All. The. Colors.  The little one will have so many options to learn to identify the colors.  Red. Yellow. Blue. Turquoise.  Purple.  Pink.  Orange.  White. Magenta.

  • Details:   Caron Simply Soft Yarn.  All the leftovers from various projects.
  • Needles:  US #6.  I used circular.
  • one stitch marker
The pattern is super simple.  I cast on 80 stitches, placing the stitch marker after 40 stitches.  *Knit one row.  Next row:  knit until two stitches before the marker, knit two together, slip marker, knit to end of row.  Follow this same instruction until there are two stitches left, then slip the two stitches together.  You have one large square.
        The second block is started by picking up 39 stitches along the front left edge of the first block.  Place marker, then cast on 40 stitches.  Then repeat the instructions beginning at *.

I made four blocks, then I started at the top of the first block and cast on 40 stitches, set a marker, and then picked up forty stitches along the top of the first block.  The second block is created by picking up stitches on both the first block of the second row and the second block of the first row. Are you confused yet?  Think about it.  You are simply adding another block above the first row.  I made this blankie four X five blocks.

You can change yarns any time you want to create wildly colorful blankets.  Or you can choose to make an afghan using only one color.  Your choice.

I hope these instructions are clear.  If you have any questions, or if you are confused, feel free to ask me for clarification in the comments.

2 comments:

Faith said...

That is SO pretty!!! how very gifted you are!!

Wendy said...

Looks lovely and I think I could follow your instructions.