Friday, October 27, 2023

Sayin' Bye to October

Friday Fave Fives... in a hurry because Younger Daughter and I are off on a 'date' to have dinner with a friend who is visiting Ohio from Oregon!!  I've linked up HERE to join others in celebrating a week of blessings.

1.  On Saturday morning at fiber arts group, I was greeted by a young girl who immediately informed me that I needed to attend church Saturday evening (it was in our plans) because she (Kl) and her friend L were both being baptized then.  Of course, we were there to cheer them both on.

2.  That young girl's big sister, Ka, loaned me the first book in a series that she owns and loves.  Yes, I've already read it and requested the next two books in the series to borrow.  Don't you love it when a young child recommends a book to you?

3.  After some downpouring rain over the weekend, our weather turned warm and sunny.  Until today.  Now it's raining again.  Truly, I am thankful for rain.  But I am also thankful for those warm sunny days.  Even at the end of October.

4.  Because of the warm weather, I was able to clean up quite a bit in the garden.  All that is left in the vegetable beds are some herbs like parsley and a row of carrots.  The flower beds look much better.  I am thankful for the weather and stamina to work outside.

5.  We had a lovely walk around the local arboretum with Younger Daughter and the puppies.  The autumn leaves were stunning.  I am thankful to live in a place where autumn glows.  (photos will be uploaded when I return later this evening, so come back over to feast on fall colors).

And... here they are!




12 comments:

Karen said...

It sounds like you've been spending this last week enjoying the best of October! My garden is not quite tucked in all the way for winter, but snow is coming tomorrow anyway. Enjoy your evening!

Susan said...

How nice that you can still enjoy time in the garden. I need to find a book to read. I like series books. I am working on my next Bible journaling class for November. Enjoy your beautiful weather. Santa Ana winds are coming in Sunday and will warm things up to the 90's. Enjoy your weekend Willow and thanks for playing Words with me.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Yes, I must say that October has even been lovely here in Florida this year! We've had some delightfully cooler mornings and days and lower humidity...all in all a good month! But not as pretty as Ohio in autumn. I do remember that from when we lived there. It's a beautiful place to be in the fall!! I hope you have a lovely weekend.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Beautiful to be in the wood at this time of year. The colours are just breathtaking and make one stand in awe at the magesty.

ellen b. said...

'where autumn glows', I like that and the photos you shared. That is sweet that the young reader had recommendations for you. Happy Saturday to you.

Faith said...

Love your autumnal photos and it sounds like it was just the best of weeks!! We had 10 min of rain today......hahahha.....but the SUNSHINE and WARM TEMPS have been wonderful although the weather guy says colder and rainy is coming our way.

Love when young people recommend books.

And praise God for the baptisms of the 2 girls!! God is good.

ENJOY the weekend!

Monica said...

Yes, as we say good bye to October we are preparing the old homestead for freezing temps! BRRR!
Hurray for the young ladies who were baptized! WONDERFUL!

Gattina said...

We too have still warm weather and the trees only start to change their colors. I am waiting to move and that enervates the most, it's to early to pack my personal belongings, the rest is taken an thrown or given away by a "house cleaner". That's nice so I have not too much to do. I am moving on Nov 15 ! I count the days ! As much as I loved our apartment in the beginning, now I want to escape ! There at least is medical care, if ever I fall or have something. I always forget that I am 80 !!

Barbara H. said...

That is so sweet the girls wanted you at their baptism and to loan you their books. I know what you mean about warm sunny days. It's good to be able to get those outdoor chores done. I was just noticing yesterday I need to clean out my front planters. There are still a few blooms, but most of it is looking "done." The arboretum walk sounds lovely and the pictures are, too.

nikkipolani said...

While your sunny days make your faves, rainy ones make mine :-) Your photos of those walks are absolutely dreamy, especially that first one. Very atmospheric.

And rainy days are perfect for reading aren't they?

Glad you've had a fortuitous combination of energy and weather to get your garden tidied for fall.

Susanne said...

The arboretum looks stunning! We don't get a lot of red in my parts but it sure adds to the fall colors! Good for you for getting the fall yardwork out of the way. How fun to be invited to the baptism!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Beautiful fall colors. Glad you had nice days to finish your outdoor work. I was fortunate to have that, too, a couple of weeks ago. So glad I did, because this past week we've had snow and freezing temps. Thanks for commenting on this week's devotional on loving our enemies. Unfortunately, I accidentally deleted your comment and can't get it back. :( I agree with everything you wrote. God bless you, my friend!♥