Friday, November 17, 2023

Mid November Fave Fives

Yes, it is late on Friday night.  Yes, I'm late posting my Friday Fave Fives.  Yes, I'm still thankful!  (I am trying to post some photos but my phone isn't talkin with my laptop.  I will keep trying.)  Update:  it took HOURS, but the photos finally downloaded in the middle of the night...

1.  We had a warm and sunny week. (until today)  I am thankful for the sunshine in November!  I really should be thankful, too, for the rain today.  We needed some moisture.

2.  Over the weekend (Sunday night), Younger Daughter took us to our very first pro soccer game.   And the Columbus Crew WON! 




3. Earlier in the week, we made a trip east about 30 miles to pick up my reframed counted cross stitch picture which I made for my grandmother a long long time ago.  I love how it looks now and plan to hang it in this cottage of mine in memory of her. 

4.  Since we were already out there, we decided to stop by and check out the A&W shop there.  Yes, it is a real A&W store.  And no, there were no car hops although there was a drive through window.  Since we had brought sandwiches with us, we only purchased cups of root beer.  I love finding these old fashioned places in random spots.


5.  Last weekend was my older son (Chaplain Dan) and his wife's wedding anniversary.  Seventeen years!  Happy Anniversary to them!

13 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. That counted cross stitch is lovely. I am so glad you got it and will now put it in your home. It was made with lots of love, I can tell. I love A & W root beer! It's so cool that you found an old A & W and could enjoy some root beer with your sandwiches. It is going to get cold here this weekend and snow is in the forecast - it's that time of year. A pro-soccer game sounds fun. I have never been to one, although we do have a pro-team here in Salt Lake City. Happy anniversary to your son and daughter-in-law. I hope that you and the professor have a nice weekend and a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Susan said...

Happy Anniversary to your son and DIL.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

It's so sweet that you still have the cross stitch you did for your grandmother. What a lovely memory. It is beautiful.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love A&W Root beer and have such fond memories of stopping at their drive-in places with the car-hops back in the 50's and 60's, while traveling up north and back on our vacations. Sweet memories. Happy Anniversary to your kiddos. Our son and daughter in law celebrated their 6th anniversary last weekend. They are a "later in life" marriage, first for him, and 2nd for her. No kids, but two sweet pups, Sugar and Spice, our "grandpups". I hope you have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

P.S., I loved the cross stitch too. That is really special, especially because of the memories attached to it. Love it.

Barbara H. said...

That cross stitch is so pretty. I'm glad you got it and were able to get it reframed. I remember A&Ws! Where we used to live, they had one togteher with a Captain D's, so it didn't have quite the atmosphere of the original A&W. But they did have frosty glasses! They had a lot of 2-in-1 fast food places in that town.

Happy anniversary to Chaplain Dan and his wife!

nikkipolani said...

Oh, I love that cross stitch -- and so appropriate for your love of gardening (among other things that grow with love). There used to be some kind of A&W shop in my town, but I think it's gone. Or at least I can't find it on google maps. Glad you could stop for a bit of nolstagia.

How fun to enjoy a game in person and be on the winning side. Love that hat :-)

Congrats to Chaplain Dan and Mrs. Chaplain Dan!

ellen b. said...

Love the cross stitch. Glad it found a place in your cottage. Good ole A&W! Happy Anniversary to your kids!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Faith said...

Love this post!! Only pro ball games I've ever been to is Pittsburgh Pirates vs Cardinals; Yankees vs. somebody (just so my hubby could say he'd been to yankee stadium...we are NOT fans); and of COURSE the Red Sox vs anyone at Fenway. hahaha


LOVE the cross stitch. I'm actually thinking of getting into that this winter. I'm definitely not a knitter.

NYS has 2 A and W Root beer places left.....both are in the adk!! We go often. LOVE it and yes one of them still has the car hops :) (the one in Lake George).

I hope you have a restful weekend...HAPPY THANKSGIVING if I don't get on here before then.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a fun week and the cross stitch is lovely. Hope you've had a good weekend and happy Thanksgiving for this week.

Susanne said...

The cross stitch is lovely. I used to do that before I had kids. A & W is very popular around here. Gotta love them teen burgers. My mom and dad used to take us occasionally for a treat when they still brought it out to the car and hung the tray on the window. Fun memories.