Is it really already Friday?Here we are, heading in to the weekend before the last week of February. It's hard to believe we'll soon be 1/6 of the way through 2009. This week seemed to fly by. Maybe it was because I had a four day weekend.
1. On Valentine's Day, The Professor and I took a long afternoon walk at Ventura State Beach. The path took us past the Ventura Pier. The pier is constructed from wood and so very picturesque.
2. Tuesdays are not always my favorite day of the week because I tutor a student in Ventura and have to make the drive there and back and the back part is right at the beginning of rush hour on Highway 101. This Tuesday we had rain and Southern Californians drive really crazy in the rain. However, my student was very cooperative and showed some progress and that encouraged me. And on the trip home, I saw a rainbow in front of the mountains! Incredibly, the photo I snapped, quickly, not really looking at the rainbow because I was driving, did not have any cars in it. Seeing the rainbow and noting the progress of my student both encouraged me. The sun was shining even through the cloudburst.
3. All the rain on Oxnard Plain meant snow in the mountains inland from us. On Wednesday and Thursday, as I turned on to the road where my school is located I could see the mountains so clearly. I convinced Ellen to walk up to the hillside above my neighborhood so we could photograph the snow capped mountains. The sun was shining on Ellen, too.
4. I finished knitting the two baby sweaters, and I cast on for a navy blue vest. I have had the Merino Blend DK washable wool yarn since I bought it in York, England in 2004 and tucked all 8 balls of it in my backpack. I've swatched and swatched and frogged and frogged and have never found Just The Right Pattern. This week in the newest Cast On magazine, I found a sample vest I can adapt for the pattern that I have been designing in my head for quite awhile.
5. Pots of Earl Grey tea brewed in my blue teapot and served in a favorite cup have sustained me this week as I've lost the battle with a cold. Again. Ah, the joys of hanging around first graders.
6. Speaking of first graders~ one of my favorite little seven year olds gave me a valentine. He chose a snake picture and information valentine, wrote my name, and signed it himself. Gotta love it!
To share others' Fave Fives this week, join Susanne at Living To Tell The Story.