The crisp, bonfire, autumn month of October. It's filled with pumpkins and orange and yellow and brown. Except here in SoCal where I live. Today it was 99F, and yes, it was hot. Those winds from the desert east of us, Santa Ana Winds, were blowing. While everyone else in the more northern latitudes in North America is facing FALL, it feels like high summer here. Most of the time I am thankful for my mediterranean climate even though we don't participate in the typical autumn cooler days and possibly rainy evenings. As I sit here sweating with the windows open to catch whatever breeze I can, I am looking back on my week, considering my blessings.
1. An email received from the mother of two former students just letting me know they miss being in my class and still consider me one of their absolute favorite teachers ever. Made my whole week right there!
2. Thai food from the restaurant has been keeping us fed for FIVE DAYS! We ordered two extra dishes when we ate there on Sunday and with our own rice to supplement, the leftovers have lasted us for the whole week. I appreciate not having to cook while we are in this limbo state of housing.
3. Of course, if this is Willow's Cottage, there will be fiber related activities. Currently I am crocheting. This time it's a granny square blanket for our new little one who is going to make her appearance THIS MONTH! Will I finish her blankie in time??? I am thankful for a bit of extra time this week to focus on making our little PAL's cuddle blanket.
About half done with the squares
100% mercerized cotton by Tahki Stacy Charles
Size G hook
4. A real live hand written on paper letter! Recently I have been corresponding (don't you just LOVE that word?!) with a long time friend from college days. We've been writing each other LETTERS. LETTERS WITH STAMPS. LETTERS DELIVERED BY THE POSTMAN. I received one this week.
5. Finally, I want to wish my granddaugher a very Happy Birthday! Eight years old!
So this has been a recounting of the Five Blessings from Willow's Cottage this week. Happy Weekend!