Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Hadrian's Wall


Hadrian's Wall was built by the Roman Emperor Hadrian to hold back the barbarians (Scottish) from invading Roman Britain. Much of the wall has disappeared but sections are still intact and excavations are ongoing. We walked several miles of the trail along the Wall.

Mile Markers were built to mark guard posts.


At one point you can actually walk on top of Hadrian's Wall. This is my favorite photo. I enlarged it, framed it and hung it in my living room. It looks like a trail in Middle Earth. I expected to meet Frodo and Sam or a company of dwarves or at least get a glimpse of elves traveling to the sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

England looks so beautiful! I'd love to visit someday...great pictures!
Its only about a 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from portland to eugene if you want to go to the Black Sheep Gathering. It runs Friday- Sunday and parking and admission are free and should have lots of fun stuff (I'm told). Here's a link that lists all the vendors and I think it gives the address and maybe directions....
http://www.blacksheepgathering.org/
have fun at the wedding!