Wednesday, December 02, 2020

HOPE in the Hodgepodge

Here they come!  Wednesday Hodgepodges in December!

1. Here we are entering the last month of the year 2020. 2020!! Every year The Oxford English Dictionary publishing team chooses a word that captures the general mood of the year we're leaving behind, or the one word that will leave a lasting impact on the world at large. This year they needed sixteen words in order to cover the whole enchilada. 

While two of the other major dictionaries selected pandemic as their word of the year, Oxford came up with a long list including-bushfire, impeachment, acquittal, coronavirus, COVID-19, lockdown, social distancing, reopening, Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture, BIPOC, mail-in, belarusian, moonshot, net zero (read more about each word here)

Of the words listed which ONE would you say should be in the number 1 spot? Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again? 

Of those words, I would pick COVID-19.  And the word I don't want to hear ever again? Cancel Culture.

2. What one word from your own list of words describing this year sums up/best reflects your 2020? Tell us why. 

TRUST.  Every year, I choose a word for the year.  Last December, (not knowing anything about what was going to happen in 2020, I chose the word TRUST.  I remember that as I was contemplating whether TRUST was the word I should choose, a friend gave me a plastic drink cup with straw that had TRUST written on it.  Bingo!  Yes!  That has been my word for this year.

3. Do you like peppermint? Peppermint mocha, a candy cane, peppermint bark, peppermint tea, York Peppermint Pattie, peppermint ice cream...of the peppermint treats listed, which one is your favorite? Will you bake anything featuring peppermint this holiday season? 

Yes, I do like peppermint.  I'd have to go with York Mint Patties as one of my favorites.  I also love peppermint tea, especially chocolate mint tea that I have grown myself.  I won't be baking anything peppermint, but we did buy some Trader Joe's Peppermint Joe-Joes.

4. Besides Christmas, what do you associate the color red with? How about the color green?

I guess I associate red with heat.  Like sunburn.  My preferred color for Christmas decorating is green, not red.  You'll notice that there's not much red here.

5. Is your tree up? Real or artificial? Is your house decorated? Is your shopping done? Started? Wrapped? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Scrooge-like and 10 being Buddy the Elf, how's your Christmas spirit? 

For the first time ever, we have an artificial tree.  Put it down to age.  We decided that it is just easier to have the artificial tree now.  And yes, it is up and decorated.  My Christmas spirit is at about a 6 or 7.  I love Advent, too, and we got snow yesterday.


                         

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Happy First week of Advent!  HOPE!

5 comments:

Joyce said...

I didn't grow up in a denomination that put a lot of emphasis on Advent, but as an adult I do love it a lot. I like the intention it brings and the focus on the meaning of the season. It's unusually cold here (for South Carolina) and don't tell anyone, but I always miss the snow this time of year : )Those first ones are so pretty!

ellen b. said...

Well that was a great word choice for the year...Trust! It's nice to be in the season of Advent. Love the green! Ugh to those two words you won't hear from me and I won't repeat them here. Blessings of the Christmas season be upon you and yours!

ellen b. said...

BTW: maybe you could message me your address??

Gattina said...

Your tree looks beautiful ! I have since years always artificial trees because of my cats !! and it's so easy ! I prefer red to green, green I only love outside. This Christmas will be a strange one, without family !

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I hadn't even heard of cancel culture. I agree with Covid-19. York peppermint patties are good but I haven't had one in years. That is interesting that you go with green for Christmas. I have found artificial trees are easier because I have 500 ornaments on my tree and I keep it up longer. However, I'm not doing my tree this year. It is up and pretty all on its own.