Saturday, June 05, 2021

A Day Late

 I just realized.  It's Friday night!  Yikes!  I'm so late.  Willow's Week in Five Faves.  Welcome to FRIDAY FAVE FIVES with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

1.  The above ground swimming pool is gone!  The family crew came on Memorial Day and disassembled it and hauled it away.  Now we are looking at the local 'mud wrestling' venue and dreaming how to turn it in to a patio/firepit area.

2.  We have been slowly finding furniture to finish putting our  home together.  Recliner chairs for the family room arrived this week.  And we found a futon for the upstairs room.  Yay!  It's only taken eight months.

3.   Local fresh strawberries!  Yum!  They're delicious and many of them were washed and put into the freezer for later.

4.  A younger woman who I have known (Older Daughter's friend) for several years dropped off some fresh rhubarb from her garden.  A wonderful gift!  So yummy!  So I have made a fresh strawberry rhubarb crisp.  Then the next day, I drove over to her house and picked and froze more of the rhubarb.  See the pattern?  Strawberry rhubarb pies and crisps in the fall?

5.  We met up with our coffee date friends at a new coffee shop near their new home.  After coffee and chatting, we went over to see their new home (they've been there for two weeks).  We so enjoy their company and are so happy that they have found a home and are settling in!

Bonus:  our friends needed to remove a peony bush to make way for putting in an extension on their driveway.  We dug out the bush and replanted it in our garden.  Yes, I know that peonies don't like being moved in the spring or summer.  But we will give it a try.  They are beautiful and worth the effort.  Fingers crossed that they will take root and thrive.

9 comments:

Karen said...

I think you should try a little mud wrestling before you make any renovations!! haha:) That is too funny.

Sending good vibes to your peony bush!

Susan said...

I hope the bush survives the transplant! I like the Rhubarb they fix at Knott's Berry Farm.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love peonies. Hope yours survives and thrives. Sounds like you are finding lots to love in Ohio. Glad you had a good week. Have a nice weekend. See you again soon.

Barbara Harper said...

Nice to have the pool gone. Funny about the mud wrestling. It always takes me a while to get a new room or new house set like I want it. I love strawberries! My husband is allergic, sadly, as is my grandson. So I don't get a whole pint just for myself. Maybe I'll see if my youngest son wants to split some. Would you believe I have never worked with rhubarb. I hadn't even heard of it til I was a young adult. How nice to be gifted some. I hope the peony bush survives! I would have given it a try, too. I'm really wanting some peonies, but I haven't seen any in stores. I'll have to check and see whether they're supposed to grow well here. I might have to start with seeds next year.

Faith said...

A friend of mine from when my oldest girl, now 27 but she was only 3 at the time, gave me two peony cuttings (young ones) and it was June. All these years later they are THRIVING and the flowers are just gorgeous. One is white the other is Pink. I just love them but i do NOT like the ants they attract so when I cut them for a vase/mason jar, I put them on the deck tables as i love the smell but don't want the ants in the house. I'm guessing yours will do fine.

Yay for finding good friends who love coffee.
It is wicked hot here today but yesterday was hot although cooler in Vermont where I hiked...you would have LOVED this hike. I did post photos on FB.

My mom and dad were HUGE fans of rhubarb (I am not) and mom used to pick it growing wild at our Adirondack camp (southern region) and make all kinds of pies and crisps from it. I just never liked it and still don't. I do LOVE anything with blueberries and cherries though :)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Wendy said...

Oh I hope the peony survives. They are so lovely. Sounds like you're getting things the way you want them but it does take time. Nice to have new friends too. Hope you've had a good weekend.

ellen b. said...

Here's hoping the peony will survive and thrive. We moved 6 of them and they are all doing well. Happy new week to you.

nikkipolani said...

HOW can it be that you've lived there for 8 months?! Exciting to get your place furnished the way you'd like. Here's hoping that peony survives the move.

Anonymous said...

Little by little it sounds like you are settling in. Inside and outside. You have some blank canvases to work out some creative ideas that will be very different from your last home, but still your own. I hope you are enjoying this new journey. I imagine your garden is beginning to be rather exciting! (Just random thoughts...) Mary