Friday, March 11, 2022

Focus on the Small Things

Friday.  In the midst of global horror, I need to keep my focus on gratitude.  These may seem like little things (and they are).  But if we don't, we will just fall into despair.  Friday Fave Fives is important!  We share our gratitude publicly to encourage ourselves and others.  I just checked.  This is the 674th Friday Fave Fives that Susanne has hosted!

1. and 2.  This week I did a thing.  For the first time since we moved, I pulled out my Cricket loom.  There are two faves here.  The first one is obvious.  I am weaving again!  The second is my appreciation for a husband who helps me with something I love.  Warping a loom is NOT an easy thing.  The Professor understands the concept of how weaving works, so he helps me with the warping.  (for non fabric people:  warp is the rows of thread/yarn that is connected to the loom lengthwise)

3.  Yes, I know we are going to get snow this weekend.  BUT, several days this week have been 'warmish' and 'sunny-ish' enough for us to walk.

4.  That weather also allowed me to be outside in my garden a bit.  Mostly I cleaned up and pulled a few dead plants, just preparing for spring planting.  I can't wait!

5.  On Saturday, we did an expotition. (reference: Winnie the Pooh)  The Professor, Older and Younger Daughters and I wanted to do some shopping in the big city.  We hit the stores and purchased what we needed and then celebrated with a lunch at a Turkish restaurant.  Oh yum!  And Oh the joy of just spending time with our girls.

Yes, it's the small things that bring joy.  Let us focus our minds there.  We need to.

12 comments:

Faith said...

yes we need to!!

I love that you had a winnie the pooh moment with your girls....(we are HUGE fans of A A Milne here and our one regret is that we didn't go to London and find our way to playing pooh sticks when they were little.....).

Love that you could get in some walks, some sunshine, shopping and weaving! Great things to be thankful for.

Stay warm and safe and let's pray Spring is on its way (we too are supposedly getting either a huge rainstorm or snowstorm...why couldn't we have had this in January????)

Barbara Harper said...

We're supposed to get snow tonight, too. But, like you, we've also had some sunny and warm days, and I know they'll come again.

I so agree, when there is so much bad going on in the world, we need to get away from the news and focus on the things God has blessed us with. That doesn't lessen our concern or prayers for the world at large, but it reminds us God is in control of all.

Your expedition sounds fun!

Linda Hoye said...

What a delight it must have been for you to get out in the garden for a while! I'm looking forward to it warming up a bit here so I can get out and dig in the dirt too. I agree with you so much that especially in times like these we need to focus on our blessings. Thank you for sharing some of yours!

Wendy said...

Focussing on simple things at this time is a good idea and spending time with family is always good. Glad you had some warmer weather. We have had sunshine this week but today it has been wet. Have a good weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, the horrors in Ukraine can make us all feel helpless. I am glad that you were able to maintain your focus by being grateful for small blessings. I hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon.

Gattina said...

That's good sign that you are weaving again ! Means you get your energy back !

Monica said...

You are so multi-talented! That's awesome that you also weave! I have something sticking it's head up out of the ground. I think it might be daffodils. I haven't seen the actual yard in so long I can't remember what was there. I love gardening and flowers...
Spending time with my girls, going for walks. Yes, they are little things but they keep us sane and grounded. There is so much going on in this world we can't control but we can keep some sort of control of our little circle.
Hope you have a blessed weekend and be assured, warm weather is headed your way!

Anonymous said...

Best thing about that weaving coming out again is that you have someone to help you warp the loom. That was my downfall so many years ago. It is so fun to have your girls nearby. I feel just like that about mine. I comfort myself about the snow that keeps showing up by remembering Mom saying that snow is the poor man’s fertilizer. Lol. Mary

Susanne said...

How fun for the expotition! :) Spending time with family is such a blessing. How awesome that you are back to your weaving! And that you had help getting that going. Nice that the weather was good enough to putz a bit in the garden getting it ready.

Karen said...

Love the idea of an expotition! Can't wait to see what you create on the loom! How good of your husband to help you with the preparation. It's nice when we can share hobbies with spouses. My hubby is not a bird watcher, but is always happy to go with me and look for them.

ellen b. said...

A Turkish restaurant...I'm smacking my lips over here! Glad you could acquaint your loom with your new space! Hope your snow was doable this weekend. We have rain. This is your birthday week. Hope you have a good one!

Shed Base Shop said...

Buy our Event Matting tiles , be used in a wide variety of industries which include construction, utilities, ground works and the festival and outdoor event sectors it is ideal for marquees.