Friday, August 26, 2022

Almost the End of August

 Yes, I've been MIA for two weeks.  Two weeks of very busy activities.  Looking  back over my diary entries, I realized that I have been home only one day.  Since my daughter's surgery, The Professor and I have been doing daily chauffeur duties.  Through all the busyness, I still see blessings popping up. F Here is my list of Friday Fave Fives for Willow's (Two) Week.  If you want to join the Fave Five group or read several more people's five blessings for the week, click on the LINK HERE.

1.  School started for all three local grandchildren.  Because Tall Boy's mom was out of state due to work responsibilities, he stayed with us and we had the privilege of attending the very busy high school open house with him, setting up his freshman year schedule, meeting his teachers and walking the labyrinth of the school hallways.  We also attended Little Warrior's open house and met his teachers.  I am thankful we are nearby and available to interact with our grandchildren and their teachers.

2.  One day last week was really really hard.  We lost our beloved granddog Shep, the Bernese mountain dog.  No puppy was more loved than Shep.  The only blessing from this that I can pull out is that the vet made sure he did not suffer and until the very end, he knew he was loved.

3.  Trail Life Troop had its Crossover Ceremony this week.  Both grandsons participated and they literally crossed over a bridge during the ceremony.  I love watching them interact with the other troop members and love how they shake hands and salute.


4.  The garden is slowly winding down, but I picked enough tomatoes, basil and oregano to make another batch of tomato sauce.  As I type, it is slowly simmering and the aroma is filling the house.

5.  There are still green beans, kale, and raspberries producing, so we are eating well from the garden.  And flowers are blooming.  I managed one photo of one of my favorite cottage garden flowers--cosmos.   I am so thankful to have enough space to make a garden.

Remember to give thanks in all things!

11 comments:

Karen said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Shep. It is so hard to lose our fur family. Sending good thoughts for your daughter's speedy recovery. How nice that you can be there for your grandkids and participate in all the back-to-school fun! My garden is slowing down, too. Sure sign of fall on the horizon.

ellen b. said...

Congrats to your grands for their crossover. How special as grandparents that you could step in and experience all these moments with your grands. So cool. Happy weekend to you!
P.S. I went to our local fair today and made sure to go in the fiber display room and talked with the spinner there.

Cathy said...

I’m so sorry for the loss of your grand dog…such a beautiful guy. Congratulations to your grands for the crossover…love the pictures of them crossing the bridge. The cosmos is beautiful. Hope you have a great weekend.

Barbara Harper said...

What a busy time. I'm thankful you could step in and do all those first-of-year things with your grandsons. It's nice to be close enough to help with chauffeuring and such. The Trail Life ceremony sounds really neat. Pretty cosmos! I am sorry about the death of your granddog.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like you have been very busy. So glad that you can be there for your grandchildren as they grow and progress through life. The Trail Life ceremony sounds very much like the "Arrow of Light" ceremony in Boy Scouts that my sons and grandsons have gone through. I believe that things like Boys Scouts and Trail Life can teach boys and young men many good things. So glad that your grandsons are involved with that. Sorry to hear of the loss of your furry family member, but it is good that he felt your love and didn't have to suffer. I hope you have a good weekend.

nikkipolani said...

I love how engaged you get to be with your kids and grandkids (and even granddog). Such blessings indeed.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I hope your daughter is healing well after her surgery. It's nice that you are close enough to be able to help out. I'm very sad for your loss. Our pets become such an integral part of our families. It's a loss you must feel whenever you come home. Hugs.

PaulaShort said...

So sorry to hear your family lost Shep. Sending get well prayers for your daughter. Oh how special to be able to help with the grands.
Visiting from FFF

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'm glad to read that your daughter's surgery went well and that you are there to help her. Willow. It's nice to be able to help with your grandchildren and see them grow and mature. So sorry about Shep. Our son and family lost two well-loved dogs last year within months of each other. It was hard but now they have two new active puppies to keep them busy.

Faith said...

Aw...so sorry to hear about Shep. My "nephew" Bernese Quetu passed away 3 years ago. it was very sad for the whole family but i actually prefer his little sister Kyss because she's a smaller bernese and doesn't romp on my feet. :) My sister in law said they don't have long lives as they are prone to various issues??

How wonderful to be involved in the grands and their schools and the various events.

LOVE fresh produce. Just bought some lovely tomatoes from a local farmer....SO GOOD!

Sorry I'm late getting around to the FFF. we just got back from the mountains and i've been inundated with laundry, mail, etc etc.

Susanne said...

I am so sorry for the loss of Shep. That is definitely a hard thing to live through, they are family. Praying God brings comfort remembering all the great times with that beautiful doggy. How wonderful that you are able to be there for your grandkids like the start of school! I love tomato sauce made right from scratch. Haven't done it years but it sure is worth it!