Friday, September 02, 2022

Is It Really September?

 Thank you to everyone who sent their condolences for the loss of our granddog Shep.  It meant so much to me.  Although Shep didn't live at our house, he was our very special doggie, and he especially loved taking walks with The Professor.

Here it is Friday again.  AND IT'S SEPTEMBER!  (I saw a notice somewhere that pumpkin spice lattes are back, so it must really be coming up autumn!)  As I reflect back on this past week, I am amazed at how fast it has flown by.  That is most likely because we have been so busy.  Here are my Five Faves--  Willow's Week with Susanne and others at Friday Fave Fives.

1.  Last Saturday, our local Vietnam veterans were honored at an event at the local airport.  Helicopter rides were available (not free), an Army band was there playing, local veterans and families were presented with plaques.  The Professor is a Vietnam Veteran.  After so many decades of no honor for him and others who served in Vietnam, it was very nice to attend such a ceremony.




2.  House renovations are moving along on our daughter's new house.  Almost all the rooms are ready for painting.  We've been over there almost every day stripping wallpaper.  Yes, we're thankful we are seeing the last of the wallpaper.

3.  I was able to drive my younger daughter in to her office one day this week.  She is ALMOST ready to start driving again.

4.  While I was waiting the hours for her to do some work, get signatures on documents, I decided to explore a bit of that part of the city.  There is a river that runs through it and there are parks and trails which connect them.  So I chose a place to park near the rose garden and enjoyed a lovely walk through urban woods. Then I returned in time to help her prepare for a take out evening dinner for the doctors who had a meeting.

There was a pollinator garden along the trail.  I think it is a success.




5.  Out of the blue, I received a text from someone at our church inviting us over for dinner!  What a delight!  So that is where we will be this evening.  I am so very thankful for the wonderful friendships we are making in our new community.

And, for fun, I leave you with this quote which I found in the rose garden.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Ah, lovely quote!

Stripping wallpaper is a tedious business. I cringe when I think of all the papered walls I left in our first home. The new owners must have cursed me! haha

The bee photos are wonderful. Many thanks to the Professor for his service <3

ellen b. said...

Oye, wallpaper, it's always good to have that process behind you. Popcorn ceilings are another icky job to remove. Glad things are moving forward on the new home and making it right for the new occupants! :) You found a nice trail to walk. Glad to see honor given to our Vietnam Vets, too. Happy Labor Day weekend to you and yours. Hope you rest between the labors!

Schotzy said...

How wonderful for the community to be honoring the Vietnam vets. Yes, it is about time!!! Yes, when we moved into our home it took the greater family to come in here to help scrape the wallpaper.. much of it was fabric paper. so very had to remove. Now we only use past to redecorate~ Hope this holiday weekend finds you all doing very well and ready to celebrate as much as you can. I love that a church friend invited you for dinner. We need to see much more of that !!!

Faith said...

OH wow.....taking down wallpaper is NOT easy. I remember my parents doing that. I myself only have wallpaper in one room....our youngest daughter's bedroom. i prefer paint. Glad you're almost done with that project!

How fun to do the walk through the urban garden and yay for pollinators!

Hope you enjoy the nice long weekend doing the things you love.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I was looking though some of my old blog post, September 2009. I see your still blogging.
I still serve coffee.

Wendy said...

Sorry to hear about your dog. They are part of the family so losing one of them is always hard. Sounds like you had a good week and I'm glad to hear your daughter is on the mend.

nikkipolani said...

How wonderful for Vietnam vets to be honored, not least of all, your own VN vet.

Love those last minute gathering of friends (and the planned ones too, for that matter). You Cicero quote made me think of Eden...

A Joyful Cottage said...

The pollinator garden is a success, indeed. I'm glad you're making new friends and finding joy in your new community. Our Vietnam vets certainly deserve respect and honor. It makes me sad to think how they've been treated over the years. I'm glad they were celebrated there. Thank you to your hubby for his service! Hugs.