Friday, February 10, 2023

Jiggity Jig

Home again!  After two weeks of traveling, we arrived home on Wednesday afternoon in time to pick up The Tall Boy from school.  What a great time we had traveling through Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.  This past week we focused on historical sites as we drove through the states on our way home.  These are only FIVE of the wonderful things we experienced this week.  I chose FIVE FAVES to share. (the link takes you to the FRIDAY FAVE FIVES group)

1.  Two National Monument forts in Georgia.  Well, yes, we are history geeks and we loved walking around the old forts and reading ALL.THE.HISTORY.  Fort Pulaski  was beautiful!

It is surrounded by a moat.




Eleanor was fascinated with the cannons.


Fort Frederica was also the site of a colonial town although there are very few remains left of it.

2.  Foxfire Museum in Georgia.  Did you ever hear of or read the Foxfire books?  They started as newspaper publications by high school students and then, because they were so popular, they were published as books which are still being published and sold.  In turn, the proceeds from the books enabled the purchase of land to create a museum which highlights the focus of the books--the culture and crafts and knowledge of the Appalachian people who have lived in the area for generations.  We had read the books years ago and only recently discovered that the museum existed.  Obviously, it was a must-go-to stop on our trip.






3.  Great Smoky Mountain National Park.  What an amazing part of the United States.  It's beautiful!


4.  Manhattan Project National Historical Park, Oak Ridge, TN.  We have previously visited the Manhattan Project museum at the Los Alamos, New Mexico site.  So we were pleased to add the second of the three parts of the Manhattan Project sites.  We couldn't stay long but we thoroughly enjoyed our visit.  A World War II secret site where people worked to create the materials for the atomic bomb.

5.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose when you randomly choose a restaurant or coffee shop in a strange town.  Twice in Tennessee and Kentucky we WON.  Pigeon Forge, TN was our goal for a coffee shop stop.  Espresso Yourself won big time!  Then we chose The Abbey in London, KY for dinner.  It was a delight.  Delicious food and British decor to celebrate London and The Beatles.  I am always thankful for the culinary adventures, too.

And now we're home again, home again, jiggity jig.

9 comments:

Melanie said...

It sounds like you had a great trip! The fort in Georgia reminds me of Castillo de San Marcos in St. Augustine, FL. I love to visit historical sites as well. So much to learn. Yes, I agree the Smokies are so beautiful. I love about an hour from the National Park. Did you drive the Cades Cove loop? I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Well, you certainly did have a lovely trip! I love that you visited so many historical sites and saw so much of our country's wonderful history. I remember stopping at that place in Tennessee many years ago, (when I was a kid) and I received what I believe was a radioactive dime encased in a metal case, at least I think that's what it was...or maybe it was dipped in Mercury...something really dangerous for a souvenir. LOL. I wonder what would have happened if I had broken open the case? LOL. Anyway, I enjoyed your trip, and yes, I do remember the Foxfire books, and had some of them back in the day. Very interesting information! Thank you for sharing this with us. I feel like I've been on a vacation!

nikkipolani said...

What an amazing trip! And, from the looks of it, nice weather. Well done on your two new faves in Tennessee and Kentucky. The layers of blue Smoky Mountains are beautiful indeed.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great trip! You visited such interesting places. We want to visit Great Smoky Mountain National Park someday. We love visiting battlefields and historical sites. So glad you could make the trip and that you are not back home safely. See you again soon!

Faith said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip with excellent coffee stop (I have a speech therapist friend who mentioned that very same coffee shop when she and her young family toured down there!!). Great Smoky is on our bucket list and I'd be VERY interested in the Foxfire place. (i'm not familiar with the books but I love all things Appalachia and I actually just finished reading a secular fiction book with a spiritual message set in Appalachia.) When I was teen i wanted to be a missionary teacher to that part of the USA. :)

great list and photos this week and welcome home!

ellen b. said...

Pigeon Forge is a hoot, filled with weird things. Glad you found good coffee. The restaurant in London sounded fun. Glad you made it there and back with lots of good history experiences and safety!

Barbara Harper said...

How neat that you were in Oak Ridge! If you're ever back in the area (and have time--I know you were just here for a short time), give us a holler. We're about 1/2 hour from the museums there. We went with my grandson and family to the children's museum there a few years ago and enjoyed it. Haven't seen the K-25 one--I think someone told us it was just recently opened. We also have not seen the park: we need to do that. A few years ago I read a fascinating book about the Oak Ridge's part in the Manhattan Project: The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan. I highly recommend it.

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is gorgeous any time, but you should see it in the fall! I agree with Melanie, Cade's Cove is a beautiful scenic drive with some historic buildings at intervals.

Another suggestion if you're ever back in this area: The Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center in Townsend. It has an indoor part with self-guided displays telling of the history of the area from way back to the Native Americans living here, up through modern time. Then there are several outdoor buildings--homes, church, blacksmith, and more.

I have never seen a fort in person. How fun.

I did hear of the Foxfire books years ago! I bet that museum is wonderful.

And best of all is to get back home safely!

Wendy said...

Glad you had such a good trip and thanks for sharing your photos and info.

Susanne said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I love going to historical sites and museums!