Friday, August 11, 2023

Best Five Faves of This Week

 It never slows down.  Life just keeps barreling along.  When I feel overwhelmed by all that is happening, I stop, take a breath and focus on what is most important.  And remember to be grateful for all the blessings.  Like food, water, shelter, clothes.  What else?  Here is a list of five things from this week (the link will take you to Susanne's blog where you can join a bunch of us listing our Friday Fave Fives).

1.  I am thankful for an excellent dentist and dental care, generally.  My dad told us, "Take care of your teeth and your feet."

2.  I am thankful that several items on our to do list were marked off.  The Professor fixed the tires on our bikes (and we took a short test ride).  He installed the new bike rack to make sure it fit on the new car.  While those items were out of the garage, I took advantage of the time and reorganized some areas to make more room.  We took several items to electronics recycle and lots of old tools to St. Vincent de Paul.  The garage is so much cleaner and tidier.

3.  While I was at St. Vincent de Paul, I received a five dollar credit, so I popped in to peruse the women's tops.  I found a cute pink cotton blouse for $1.99.  Sold!

4.  We had a fun evening with our three teenage grandkids.  They chose Panda Express take away.  Then there was a discussion on what movie to watch.  Star Wars, The Phantom Menace won.  The rule was no electronics, just conversation.  I think a good time was had by all.

5.  Our Chinese fortune cookie fortunes were fun.  Mine read, "You will take an inspirational journey to a faraway place."  The Professor's was, "Adventure awaits you."  We stared at each other.  What trip shall we plan?  The grands had 'grand' ideas:  California.  Papua.  We thought, "Alaska?  Hawaii? Scotland?  Cornwall?"  Who knows?

As you can see, my gratitude has been focused on 'home' this week.  Small blessings.  It was the best.

Just a bit of eye candy to enjoy.  

Hadrian's Wall


Hexham Abbey, Northumberland

14 comments:

marina said...

Fun family times!!! what more could we ask for? ☺️ And a good dentist is a must.
I love your photos posted below.

ellen b. said...

Fun 'Grand' ideas. Cleaning up areas is so rewarding as is getting rid of 'stuff'. We depart in just over a month on our next grand adventure. Love the saying by your dad!

Schotzy said...

I was inspired by your purging and getting rid of some unwanted or needed items. I notice a couple of drawers full of old tops I know I'll need wear so Im bagging them up tomorrow and taking them the Salvation Army! YAYA. How wonderful to have a fun family time.I do miss my grands so much. I did see them in June for a few days, but won't see them again until Nov. when we will do Turkey Day and Christmas all in the same week! Whew! it is always such a whirl wind!!! I pray you ahve a wonderful week ahead and God bless!!! Carolyn

Terra said...

That is a good idea for a post to list some blessings. A trip for you in the future predicted? Imagine Hadrian's Wall still there.

Deb J. in Utah said...

So glad you had a nice week. Getting a lot checked off the "to do" list always feels good. You dad was sure right about taking care of your teeth and your feet. So glad you have a good dentist. Sounds like you may be planning another trip to an exciting place soon. I love how you had dinner and movie with your grands and didn't allow phones or electronics. I wish more parents and grandparents did that. Hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Happy Family times indeed are the best times. Those adventures sound like fun ideas too!! We don't do much traveling...I feel blessed to be able to make it to Walmart and back! LOL. We do plan a little trip this fall, which I am looking forward to. It's too hot here now to even think of traveling...unless we could get to someplace much cooler! I hope you have a wonderful rest of your weekend! Enjoy those wonderful grandkids while they are still around! They grow up so fast!

Anonymous said...

Bicycling is great fun. Sounds like you plan on traveling with them.
I, too, have had fun watching old movies with the grandkids. Good movie choice. Mary

Susan said...

Have you been on a cruise to Alaska? We went in 2006 and we loved it. I went to Maui in 2012 and so sad to hear how Lahaina burned down. We were going to go in the spring. Enjoy your weekend, Willow!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Wonderful things to be thankful for.

Faith said...

OH what a great list of faves from your week. I love that you spent time with your grand teens and that they weren't on their phones. So wonderful.

Hm...oh my ....i could think of MANY inspirational journeys. You'll have fun planning one I'm sure!

Love the photos.

HAPPY WEEKEND

Gattina said...

I sat on Hadrian's wall a few years ago and thought these Romans follow me everywhere ! You can go Sweden over Germany, naturally Italie, they have been everywhere ! Even in Egypt !

Barbara H. said...

I'm not fond of dental work, but I'm glad we have it. Sounds like a fun home week. It's nice to cross things off the to-do list. Good deal on the blouse!

nikkipolani said...

Yeah, life does keep barreling along. I imagine yours to be especially so with travel and friends and lots of family activities. Like you, crossing off the to-do list is always a fave. Well done on the garage organization!

Love that you had compatible fortune cookies. Where will you go next??

Karen said...

How fun to be planning a journey! The possibilities are endless. I like your idea for grandkids' night. I try to limit electronics at our house. I allow my granddaughter to look at my phone so I can trim her nails! but that's about it.