Friday, August 18, 2023

Mid August Faves

 August in the northern hemisphere is hot.  One way to describe it is Dog Days of Summer.  By now we are all ready for fall.  That includes me.  I'm tired of hot days.  Are you?

But even so, I need to focus on the good stuff.  Here are Friday Fave Fives, my way of looking back and around me and reminding myself the week is full of blessings. (The link takes you to Susanne's blog so you can read more of our good stuff.)

1.  Friday night we took Younger Daughter and the grandkids to the county fair.  We chose Friday night because it was Rough Trucks.  Flips, turns, mud, big old trucks and cars.  The Professor and I enjoyed talking with some of the people in a couple of booths.

2.  One booth in particular was focused on gardening.  We discovered that our county has a Pollinator Pathway group.  We have been working all summer on changing much of our back garden into a pollinator garden.  And we didn't even know about this group!  Excited we are!  And then I found out that a good friend of mine is part of it!

My Pollinator Garden



3.  I have been working through more of my to-do list.  One chore is doing the mending.  I worked a bit last week and did some more this week.  See this adorable puppy?  No, he's not real.  He's a stuffie who was attacked by a real puppy.  But I was able to sew him back together, and he looks almost new again.

4.  I made a batch of pickles!  My first time ever.

5.  Knitting continues.  I am working on another afghan.  Yeah, I love to knit, and afghans use up quite a bit of my yarn stash.  That's a win-win.

Bonus:  we had two lovely rain storms this week.  I didn't have to water the garden!

These faves may not be exciting, but they reflect the blessings in my life.

7 comments:

Gattina said...

northern hemisphere ??? hot ?? are you kidding, it's just one day that it is a little warm. The weather turns upside down, where it should be hot its cold and the other way around.
Not very good for the mood and energy !

Wendy said...

Ha we haven't had very hot weather here but I'm thankful for that. Those wild flowers look lovely and how nice you've found a group with a friend to get involved with. Sometimes it's just the little simple things that make for a good week. Have a good weekend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I love your "pollinator garden". I never knew there was such a name for a flower garden. Yours reminds me of my "butterfly garden"...maybe it really is supposed to be a pollinator garden. Mostly mine is a weed garden right now, and it is too hot to get out there and do any weeding. Plus I have arm issues that keep me from doing much activity like that. I enjoyed your post...and yes, whatever things are blessings to us need to be shared, even if they may seem small...they are still special gifts from God to us and it encourages others to know about them! So thank you!! Oh, were there any tractor pulls at the county fair? We used to LOVE to go to those when we lived in north central Ohio! Loud, but fun! Enjoy Ohio for me, okay? Thank you.

marina said...

Your faves are special! I love the cosmos and zinnias in the photos. And the toy you fixed is so cute, I'm sure the puppy is thankful too 😀.

Connie said...

It's been hot here too, but worse is our air quality. There are so many wildfires around us. I thank God that they're not any closer than what they are but with the winds blowing that could change. I was outside in it most of yesterday and last night, oh, I could certainly tell it in the way my throat felt.
Your cosmos are so lovely, thanks for sharing.
You're blogging sister, Connie

Barbara H. said...

It's been very hot and humid here. I'm eager for fall breezes. Our county fair in in September. I don't think we have a rough trucks night, though--my grandson would probably love that.

I'm glad you were able to mend the stuffie. I have some chores I need to get to as well. Not any mending that I can think of, though, thankfully.

ellen b. said...

Hopefully we will get the rain that is predicted for tomorrow. Our whole region needs it to help with the fires. Hats off to you for taking on pickles! Yum. Sounds like a fun night at the fair. Our rodeo starts on Thursday. :) Hopefully the smoky skies will be gone.